Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Incorrect Space Availability Displayed on Dropbox vs Computer

Level 2

I received a notification about my dropbox account being out of space. However, when checking my space via file properties (so I could determine what to remove to make space) I noticed that there are only about 500 MB worth the files in the folder. However, on the Dropbox website, it shows that there is 5GB worth the files. My account is set to full sync so everything on my computer is exactly what shows online. How do I fix this?

7 Replies

Re: Incorrect Space Availability Displayed on Dropbox vs Computer

Super User

Hello bcily21

Are you using Selective Sync?  

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Level 2

No, I just double checked and everything is being synced. 

Super User

That doesn't make sense to me, there are obviously many files that are not synced properly if its different on the web than whats on the computer.  When you hover over your Dropbox icon with your cursor, what does it say?  does it say 'up to date'

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Level 2

Yes, it says that it is up to date. I even removed a folder just to make sure it was syncing properly of which it is. That's why I am confused as to why there is such a big difference in space. I also deleted everything in the trash bin on the Dropbox website to see if that would help, but it did not. Do you think if I moved all the dropbox files to my computer it could force it to reset the amount of available space?

Super User

well,  I have to ask this, is the Dropbox Client running on your PC?  do you see a Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar?  and what OS are you running on this PC?

Highlighted

Level 2

Yes, Dropbox is installed directly on my computer. My computer is using windows 10.

Dropboxer
Hey @bcily21, welcome to our community! 

A couple more things that I’d like for you to check: 

• Are you running a stable version or our desktop app? Current version is 49.4.69

• Is your Windows 10 machine a desktop/laptop, or a surface device? 

• Do you have more than one Dropbox account? If so, please make sure that you’re logged in to the same account in our desktop app, as when you log in online through our website

Let me know, and if the issue persists, we’ll put you in touch with a support agent for further investigation and troubleshooting. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Incorrect Space Availability Displayed on Dropbox vs Computer
7 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution