Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Local Hard disk full

Level 3

I haven't been able to search an answer for this.  I have Dropbox installed on Windows 10.  I have TWO local disks.  One that runs the OS and the other is just a storage drive.  The storage drive has 2TB.  I have dropbox files to this drive.  Why is my OS drive still getting full?  I have my E: drive syncing ALL my dropbox files and yet there is a section under File Management that says c:\user\<name>\dropbox... is it syncing in two places???  

My OS drive is a lot smaller 250GB, but I shouldn't be running out of space on it.

17 Replies

Re: Local Hard disk full

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Steven, could you check if there are any sync icons on the Dropbox folder in the C:\ location?

If not, then it could be an old folder from before the Dropbox folder was moved, so you should be able to delete it.

If this isn’t the case, please let me know more info so I can assist!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

So I'm not sure what that exactly means. But I'll tell you that the folder in the C: is still syncing up.  There is a Dropbox icon in Windows Explorer.  I checked my preferences in the dropbox app (in the Windows system tray) and my sync drive is set to E: (my big HD), so I don't know what files are being saved under C:\users\<name>\dropbox\  .  I have SAME files in BOTH places.  

Level 3
I think I see what you mean now... No, I don't have any of those icons on my C: drive folders, however, it IS still syncing. New photoes, videos, etc are current there... as they are on my E: drive. I'm confused as to what's happening.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
That shouldn’t be possible, unless you either have symlinks, meaning that C: folder is mirroring what you’re seeing on the E:, or the folder could be part of another user account on the computer.

Could you forward a screenshot, hiding any personal info, of the folder as it appears on your C:? Thanks!

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

C drive.PNGMy C: Properties... note foldersE drive.PNGMy preferences in Dropbox App... E: is the syncSo I add two pictures.  My preference is correct.  I want my E: drive to sync EVERYTHING on Dropbox.  However, look at the properties on my C:  That folder is a mirror of what is going on E:  and it's set to C:\users\<name>

Super User II
Have you checked to see which folder is syncing when you add or edit a file in Dropbox?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

I've already said.  They are BOTH syncing.  I have updated files on the c:\user\<name>\dropbox folder as well.  E: drive is working as it should, however, I don't know why it's also storing on C:

Super User II
I just wanted to check as that shouldnt be something Dropbox is doing, it sounds like a junction has been set.

I suggest logging a ticket via www.dropbox.com/support for assistance as its not doing 'the usual' thing when the local storage is moved. I dont want to suggest anything which may cause data loss.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for your cooperation & reaching out to our team Steven J.13! In order to gather all info on the same email chain, I’ve located your newest open ticket & I’ve discussed your syncing inquiry with my colleague who’s currently handling the case. 

They’ll get back in touch with you on this discussion & rest assured that they’ll do their best to help you over. 

I hope this account-specific issue gets resolved soon for you & I’m always here in case you need further assistance. Enjoy the rest of your day Steven! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Local Hard disk full
17 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post