cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My space is still occupied even though I've deleted files?

My space is still occupied even though I've deleted files?

zoungson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello! 

After I deleted some files to free my dopbox space, even though the files a deleted the space is still occupied. Can someone help me with this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

As a first step, could you please check how much space you have available and how much is being used up by regular/shared content by navigating to your Plan tab

Please remember that if your account is over your storage quota, then file syncing will stop. Files won’t be removed, and syncing will resume when you bring your account under your quota again.

For this reason, in order to bring your account under the storage limit, I’d kindly recommend removing unwanted regular/shared content from your account or increasing your quota by earning space

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

As a first step, could you please check how much space you have available and how much is being used up by regular/shared content by navigating to your Plan tab

Please remember that if your account is over your storage quota, then file syncing will stop. Files won’t be removed, and syncing will resume when you bring your account under your quota again.

For this reason, in order to bring your account under the storage limit, I’d kindly recommend removing unwanted regular/shared content from your account or increasing your quota by earning space

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

zoungson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Lucil,

Thank you very much,

your suggestions have been very useful, I guess the problem was due to the fact that my account was be over my storage quota.

Bye

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I’m glad we were able to get to the bottom of this, @zoungson:relieved:

If you have any other questions, just give us a shout. In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Kianzao
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same problem. Currently in my dropbox plan I have a total capacity of 3.25 GB and it says that I am using 2.78 GB. But I checked the size of the only folder that I have uploaded to Dropbox and it is 1.93 GB, after I deleted some documents. The problem is that Dropbox is not updating the stuff that I delete and opening space. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @Kianzao!

Could you please provide a bit more info on this? Did you check the folder’s space from the desktop app or the website? Do you have any shared folders or files in your account that take up storage space? You also mention that:

@Kianzao wrote:

Dropbox is not updating the stuff that I delete and opening space.  

Are you by any chance permanently deleting files? If so, please note that deleted files don't count against your storage quota. For this reason, permanently deleting files after they have already been deleted doesn't free any more space in your Dropbox. 

If I’ve misunderstood though, could you please let me know how you’re deleting these files? If you’re getting any errors, please send me a screenshot (omitting personal info) so as to have a better understanding of your concern.

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Kianzao
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for your answer, Lusil. 

I deleted my files from my Dropbox folder in my PC. Then I realized that it did not open space in my Dropbox account. So I accessed the website and tried to delete the files permanently. Like you said, "permanently deleting files after they have already been deleted doesn't free any more space in your Dropbox.", so it didn't change anything. I am not having any errors. I did a quick check, and the folder that I have in my PC is the same that is in the website. In the website it does not show any other folder except the same one that I have in my desktop app. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the detailed reply, @Kianzao!

Hmm. I’d recommend moving this discussion to email since account-specific info will be required so as to further investigate on the matter. I’ve gone ahead and sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. Please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

eyals
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear Dropbox rep,

Kindly, you did not answer the question...

Farkhanda
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem, help needed.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    La14 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?