cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

yes

Highlighted

Not enough free space message even though I have only used 66%

I keep getting a "Not enought free space message even thought I am only using 66%

5 Replies

Re: Not enough free space message even though I have only used 66%

Dropboxer
Hey there, @4peakadventure

As a first step, I’d recommend checking out your Plan tab to ensure how much space is being reported as available, and how much is being taken up by regular/shared content

If you’re still having trouble with this, let me know and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

I'm experiencing a similar issue. I received an email from Dropbox about two hours ago that said I was out of storage, which seemed odd to me because I recalled it being around ~50% full. I had some extra storage from offers, so my total was 5.8GB.
Steps taken:

• Checked the Dropbox app on my computer and saw that my storage use was 48.7% of 5.8GB
  • Logged in to dropbox.com and saw that my space was 2.5GB
  • Moments later I received an application pop notification from Dropbox asking me to login (odd, since I was previously logged in)
  • I logged in and now my space is 2.5GB
  • I checked the Dropbox app on my phone - seems I had been logged out of that as well. When I logged in I was prompted to choose a new plan as if I were a new user.

Feeling like one of three things may have happened:

• I had additional free storage that was term-limited and just expired (although I feel like I should have received some notification that this was coming)
  • Dropbox just made some updates forced expiration or termination of previous storage agreements and reset my account to the basic free version - Note that I'm being shown the new user onboarding on both my mobile app and on dropbox.com
  • My account was compromised and reset (seems unlikely since no files appear to be missing on the first pass)

Dropboxer

Hey @hfre

Initially, I just wanted to touch upon something you mention that:

@hfre wrote:
  • Checked the Dropbox app on my computer and saw that my storage use was 48.7% of 5.8GB
  • Logged in to dropbox.com and saw that my space was 2.5GB

If you're seeing two different storages being reported, one from your desktop app and another from the website, could you please ensure that you're looking at the same Dropbox account associated with the same email address? You can do this from:

Furthermore, if you have any questions about referrals or any other space promotions that you may have acquired on your account, you can find more info through your Plan tab, at the bottom of your screen. 

Finally, if for any reason you're worried about the security of your account, you can always check the Security tab from the website for more info on device access, as well as having a look through this article for more ways and suggestions to protect your account. 

In any case, let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further assistance with anything. Cheers!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Hi @Lusil,

This is all on the same account. As I mentioned it appears I was auto-logged out of all three sessions (mobile app, desktop app, and web app) so I logged back into each of them using the same account. In each instance, I was treated as a new user with just 2.5GB, although my files were already available. There was a delay between when I received the original notification and when I was automatically logged out of the desktop app, so I was able to take a screenshot of my storage:
Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 7.14.48 PM.pngBeforeScreen Shot 2019-01-24 at 7.02.08 AM.pngAfter

You'll notice that before I was logged out I had two accounts, a personal (the account in question) and a business. I'll reiterate that I'm certain that the notification of storage capacity was only related to my personal account and that in all three instances (mobile, web, desktop) I was logged into my personal account. I'm not sure why my business account became unlinked from the desktop app after this happened - possibly related but I'm not very concerned about that at the moment.

Does that give you more clarity about what happened?

I checked on the Your Plan tab - it only shows me current Earn More Space credits, there is no history of past credits earned. I can't recall what my credit may have been so apparently there is no way to prove this?

I did not see anything on the security tab that is concerning.

Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshots, @hfre, definitely provide a better image of what you’re seeing. 

Hmm. thinking face In order to further investigate this matter together, due to account-specific info required, we’d have to move this discussion to email. For this reason, I’ve sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. 

Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. Cheers!

Lusil

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Not enough free space message even though I have only used 66%
More about this post
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See answer
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post