cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Did you know you can get an answer in less than 2 hours? Try asking a question now!
11 Comments
1 Like
Highlighted
Level 2

Space not released after deleting files on dropbox.com dropbox for business

We have a dropbox for business account. When i delete files from the dropbox.com website - the space does not get reflected on the account screen. How long does it take for that space to be reflected, or is it immaterial since deleted files are retained in dropbox for business? I would go in and permenantly delete the files as well, but that is a really poor process on dropbox since you cant do multiple files / folders at the same time.

In the help article it says that space is released when files are deleted, but that does not seem to be the case.

Again, files are deleted on the website, this has nothing to do with synching down to the user device.

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Super User

Re: Space not release'fd after deleting files on dropbox.com dropbox for business

Hi @jcrespo, It should free up the space indeed once you have deleted your files. Can you please confirm that you do not see the deleted files/folders in your dropbox web https://www.dropbox.com/home? Then please navigate to the Plans page https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan, and see if the space usage is updated.

11 Replies
Super User II

Re: Space not released after deleting files on dropbox.com dropbox for business

Space is instantly released if you delete them. If it isnt then something is wrong. Is it a shared folder you've left by any chance? If so it may still be in others accounts and so using space.

Also, if its a Business account and you need more quota just contact Dropbox and ask for it

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

As I said the space is not instantly released, which is why i posted my question. It is not a shared folder. I'm aware i can call them for more space. 

I'm still looking for an answer to my question.

Super User II

because I'd suggest logging a ticket then with support because as I said it should be instantly released.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

I have in the past, it hasn't resulted in a productive answer.

Super User II

What were the answers?

Remember though, this is a user supported forum.

Super User II

KenDSC wrote:

I'm still looking for an answer to my question.

You're a Dropbox for Business customer. You have acess to phone support. Call them. The phone number and required pin can be found in your admin console under Help.

Level 2

I'm aware. I was looking for other peoples feedback as to their experience. Support simply said - it should do it and pointed me to the kb article about deleting files. No help what so ever.

Level 2

Re: Space not release'fd after deleting files on dropbox.com dropbox for business

I have a regular free dropbox account. I deleted almost all my files and it has not released my space.  According to what I have read, it's suppose to release it immediately. 

@Mark wrote:
Space is instantly released if you delete them. If it isnt then something is wrong. Is it a shared folder you've left by any chance? If so it may still be in others accounts and so using space.

Also, if its a Business account and you need more quota just contact Dropbox and ask for it

@Mark wrote:

Any other recommendations?

Level 2

I'm having a similar issue.

Space

Welcome! If you have a question about Dropbox, you’re in the right place

Post your question or search for an answer, the community is here to help

Not looking for support? Explore other features of Dropbox

Learn more about the community

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post
  • KenDSC
  • Mark
  • RagnarTP
  • jcrespo