Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Space used doubled after changing folders

Level 3

Today I moved the contents of a folder to a new folder and deleted the old folder. Before I did that, my total space used was 1.9 GB - but afterwards the space used had increased to 3.4 GB !! which is well over my limit.

Does anybody have any idea why moving stuff to another folder has nearly doubled the amount of space used ? or what I have done wrong ? I really need help getting my "lost" space back again.

13 Replies

Re: Space used doubled after changing folders

Dropboxer
Hi there @Kinsy

Could you double-check the space used and available in your Dropbox account by navigating to your Plan tab? Could you also check your events page for more info on what occurred to content in your account?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Thanks, Lusil. I checked my Plan and the Dropbox space used is 1.9 GB - so that's a relief !!

But now I'm confused - again slightly smiling face The size of the Dropbox folder on my desktop is still 3.53 GB. This is baffling, and I'm not sure whether it's something I should worry about.

Dropboxer
Glad to hear that we got one mystery solved, @Kinsysmiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes 

As for the Dropbox folder, have you by any chance rebooted your computer? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Yes, I tried rebooting, but no change - I'll just have to keep on worrying about whether to worry slightly smiling face

Dropboxer
No worries @Kinsy (ba-dum-tss grimacing face).

You could also try a reinstall of the desktop app (69.4.102) and see if that helps. 

However, if you’re still having trouble with this though, we can always move this discussion to email so as to have a better look on the matter (in which case, I can contact you directly to the email address associated with your Community profile). 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Level 3

I reinstalled the app - thanks, Lusil - and then restarted my laptop. But the desktop folder size is still 3.26 GB.

So I added up all the sizes of the folders in the desktop individually, and the total matches the 1.9 GB space used on Dropbox. Curioser and curioser ...

Perhaps I should empty the desktop folder completely, and then resync - what do you think ? 

Dropboxer
Hey again @Kinsy

Hmm. thinking face You could unlink, remove the Dropbox folder, and reinstall the desktop app for a fresh start. Before that though, you could try clearing the cache folder. 

The desktop app keeps a cache of files hidden in your Dropbox folder for efficiency and emergency purposes. You can use the steps below to clear the cache, which won’t affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder, and will also free up space in your hard drive.

1. Stop Dropbox:
  • Click on the Dropbox icon.
  • Select Quit Dropbox (Linux), or on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select Quit Dropbox (Mac) or Exit Dropbox (Windows).
  1. Carefully follow the instructions here
  2. Restart Dropbox (Linux/Mac: Run from Applications folder; Windows: Start > All Programs).
If the issue persists, please remove the Dropbox cache folder completely. This involves following the steps stated above to clear the cache folder, but this time try by fully deleting the main .dropbox.cache folder instead of deleting just its contents.

If you’re still having trouble with this, we’d have to continue troubleshooting via email (in which case I can contact you directly to the email address associated with your Community profile). 

Let me know how it goes and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil

Level 3

Thanks, Lusil - will clear the cache first, and follow your instructions carefully. Hope I don't mess things up and lose anything slightly smiling face It's fine if you contact me directly by email.

Dropboxer
Take as much time as you need, @Kinsy

I’ve followed up with a ticket, so if you’re still having trouble with this, don’t hesitate to get back to me via email. 

In any case, let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Space used doubled after changing folders
13 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post