cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Space used in my DropBox client is different from what's in my Window Dropbox folder

Level 3

Trying to reconcile the difference between what my DropBox client shows as available and what I have in my Windows DropBox folder.

My Windows DropBox folder shows 773mb used yet Dropbox shows 2.1gb in data out of 2.5gb. I don't have any Selective sync configured. Do the Deleted items count towards the total space in DropBox as well?

6 Replies

Re: Space used in my DropBox client is different from what's in my Window Dropbox folder

Super User II

@SandyWood wrote:

Do the Deleted items count towards the total space in DropBox as well?

No, deleted items do not count against your storage quota.

Re: Space used in my DropBox client is different from what's in my Window Dropbox folder

Level 3

Thanks for the note back on my question. If Deleted items don't count towards my quota, is there anyway to see why Dropbox thinks I have 2.1GB of data yet on my local system, I only have 768MB? I cleared out my cache but nothing changed. 

Super User II

If Dropbox is stating that you have 2.1GB of data in your account, then you have 2.1GB of data in your account. Are all folders syncing to your computer? You've compared both the online folders and those found in the Dropbox folder on your computer? Are you a member of any shared folders?

Level 3

On the computer side, all my files and folders are synching and have the green check mark on them. I'm not a member of any shared files or folders that I can see. 

It would be helpful to be able to check an online Dropbox folder and get the size and number of files and folders. There doesn't appear to be anything like that to check. 

Could there be files In Dropbox that are not synced to my computer? In the Selective Sync settings, I have the All checkbox set so I'm guessing that means the client will sync everything in the cloud?

Are camera uploads stored somewhere else? I had configured that over a year ago but I don't see anything online.

Dropboxer
Hi @SandyWood, thanks for the initial troubleshooting with @Rich, awesome work! I just wanted to add my two cents here.

@SandyWood wrote:

It would be helpful to be able to check an online Dropbox folder and get the size and number of files and folders.

Although there isn’t an option to see how many files you have in a folder through the website, you can calculate the size of it by following the steps outlined here

@SandyWood wrote:

In the Selective Sync settings, I have the All checkbox set so I'm guessing that means the client will sync everything in the cloud?

Yes, when you check a box with a tick mark on your selective sync settings, those folders should sync locally in your Dropbox folder

@SandyWood wrote:

Are camera uploads stored somewhere else? I had configured that over a year ago but I don't see anything online.

If at any point in time you had camera uploads enabled, you should have a “Camera Uploads” folder, unless you removed it from your account. 

@SandyWood wrote:

Could there be files In Dropbox that are not synced to my computer

Have you by any chance ran a bad files check for any content that may contain any incompatible characters

If you’re still having trouble with this, could you send us a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what your Dropbox icon (that’s next to your desktop’s clock) reads when you hover over it?

Let me know of any updates! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Thanks very much for all the tips and answered questions. They were very informative. 

I loved that I could check the file and folder size in the web site view of my Dropbox. I spent some time with my calculator and added up the file sizes on the web site view and they appear to match what my Dropbox client shows. But when I match them with what I have in my Windows PC, they're way off. I've checked each folder and each file and they match up as well. Something is off and I can't find it.

I'm going to be honest here. I'm a system admin for a local government agency who is pushing hard to move us to Microsoft 365. I've used Dropbox in the past and up until now have loved it's functionality and responsiveness. This new gray area of accounting for storage is unsettling to say the least.  At this point I'm going to have to put my files into OneDrive if only to keep things consistent. Each day I find an alert from Dropbox to upgrade my storage and yet I can't find the reason. 

Thanks again for the help and support - this community has been the most responsive and helpful. 

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Space used in my DropBox client is different from what's in my Window Dropbox folder
6 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post