cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

yes

Highlighted

Space used largely differs from PC to Website

Level 2

Hello,

I am trying to clean up used space, but I can't get Dropbox to calculate the used space correctly. In Windows, on two different computers, the used space is exactly the same, 2,84 GB. Even when I show system and hidden files in Windows, the used space remains the same.

On the web, I can see that used space is 6,79 GB !!

I have permanently deleted everything in the deleted files folder.

Dropbox seems to be miscalculating the used space, but how to correct the situation ?

5 Replies

Re: Space used largely differs from PC to Website

Dropboxer
Hey @ricke666

Initially, I just wanted to mention that deleted and permanently deleted files don't count against your storage quota and permanently deleting files once they’ve been deleted won't free up additional space in your Dropbox.

Having said that, could you please first ensure that the desktop app is running and send me a screenshot (excluding personal info) of what the Dropbox icon that’s next to your desktop’s clock reads when you hover over it?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hello, I am reading on different variants of this question that often, it is Windows that is not counting the space correctly. I installed a Treesize software to scan space uage of each folder and definitely there is more space used that what Windows reports at root. I will work on a few space-consuming folders (move them out of dropbox) and see if reported space usage varies.

Dropboxer
No problem, @ricke666. Let me know if you need any further assistance or if you have any other questions! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Hello, I confirm that I have been able to clear much of the used space using Treesize. Windows does NOT report correctly the used space, either by selecting the root Dropbox folder, or by seleecting all subfolders in it...

Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @ricke666!

If you have any other questions in the future, don't hesitate to get back to us. In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead! grinning face

Lusil

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Space used largely differs from PC to Website
More about this post
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See answer
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post