Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Trying to back up an iMovie library to DropBox

Level 2

I just upgraded my DropBox account to be able to back up our video library in the cloud, but I've run into a problem.

On my Mac, the iMovie library file says it is 900 Gb, so it should fit just fine. 

But before it's even finished uploading all of it to DropBox, my DropBox is full and what's there from the videos folder shows at 1.54 Tb. 

I've tried scouring the folders for hidden files or discrepancies, but I can't find anything.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

1 Reply

Re: Trying to back up an iMovie library to DropBox

Super User II

Apple's iMovie and iPhoto libraries contain symlinks, which Dropbox does not support. A symlink is a reference to a file that resides in a different location. It make it look like a file is in one folder when it's really located elsewhere.

If you have a symlink within your Dropbox folder, Dropbox doesn't sync the link itself but the content at the other end of the link. If that link points to a file elsewhere in the library, Dropbox ends up syncing the actual file twice; once in the original location and again for each symlink to that file, occupying at least twice the space.

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Trying to back up an iMovie library to DropBox
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post