Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

5 Comments
4 Likes
Highlighted
Level 2

Using Dropbox for storage to create space on my computer.

I am running out of space on my laptop. I would like to use Dropbox to store some files bit don't want copies on my computer. I would also like to store some files on dropbox thre other way where there are copies in my Dropbox folder on my computer as in the online part. Any help is appreciated. 

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Super User II

Re: Using Dropbox for storage to create space on my computer.

5 Replies
Super User II

Level 10

DB is not an extension of your hard drive. But you can use selective-sync to save hard drive space while having website access to your files.
Level 3

My understanding is purchasing dropbox gives you more storage space so why would syncing with your computer require storage space other than the syncing program, the files should not be taking storage from your computer - is that not correct?

Super User II

@JoyLM wrote:

My understanding is purchasing dropbox gives you more storage space ...

Your understanding of Dropbox is incorrect.

Dropbox is a file synchronization service. It is meant to keep the files stored within the Dropbox folder on your computer in-sync with the files in your account online. The Dropbox folder is local to your computer, meaning it takes up space. Anything stored in the Dropbox folder is on your local drive. Dropbox is not a cloud-based folder or drive where the files only exist online and you're accessing them remotely.

Selective Sync can be used to remove the local copy of selected folders from your drive while leaving them in your account online.

Smart Sync, available on Professional and Business accounts, is similar in that files or folders marked as Online-only will be removed from your computer, but they will still remain visible within the Dropbox folder (sort of a place holder). Any such file you open is then downloaded back to your computer automatically and marked as a Local file.

Level 10

This is a very common "misunderstanding", so don't take the "incorrect" reply as a rebuke. 

The option of selective sync is an old feature and AFAIK unique to dropbox. Many newcomers are exposed to OneDrive and GoogleDrive and do not realize that DropBox is better yet different.

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Space.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post