Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

more data on dropbox than in folder on computer

Level 3

the dropbox folder on my computer hardrive has less than 1gig of data, yet in dropbox it shows 5gigs.  there is no more files or folders on one than on the other.  to check i removed everyhing from my dropbox computer folder, got to 0 byts on dropbox, reloaded back on to computer folder, after sync to dropbox, shows 5gigs.  am i correct in understanding, that deleted dropbox files and cache do not count in your used space.  Either way, any other reason why there would be a discrepency between the otherwise synced dropbox folders on hardrive and up on dropbox server.

4 Replies

Re: more data on dropbox than in folder on computer

Super User II

You are correct in your assumptions @hodt. What does affect space, however, would be things like symlinks or junctions which would probably not register as space used on your machine, but, Dropbox WOULD follow and sync them

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

Thanks for your help. If I may clarify, so a windows shortcut, to a folder outside dropbox folder,  but placed inside a dropbox folder, does that qualify as a  symlink.  i use a number of shortuts in my dropbox folders to quickly move files to folders outside dropbox, so if this is a symlink, dropbox syncs the files in that shortcut folder.  ? that it?

Super User II

Shortcuts are not symlinks. Dropbox will not follow a shortcut.

Level 3

Thanks for the advice.  im back to square one then, as i dont seem to have any symlinks.  I will try moving and reinstating, one folder at a time and see if that helps me locate a possable symlink.

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

more data on dropbox than in folder on computer
4 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post