Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

"Not enough space" when adding folder

I have a Dropbox Basic account with 3.75GB total, of which 1.16GB is currently free - after deleting a couple of folders from My Files.

I have been invited to a shared folder. I have checked with other members, and it is approx 500MB in size.

However, every time I try to add this folder, I get the error message "Not enough space". It's not particularly helpful, as it doesn't tell you either the size of the folder/files you're trying to add, or how much extra space you need.

But in this case, the error message also appears to be wrong, since I have significantly more space than required to add the folder.

How can I resolve this?

9 Replies

Re: "Not enough space" when adding folder

Dropboxer
Hey there @tom_brennan

Hmm. thinking face Just to confirm, when you click on Add from the Sharing tab, do you see the space outlined on the pop up window? 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

No. The popup shows:

"Not enough space

To add this folder, you’ll need more space in your Dropbox."

And then a button with Upgrade to Add Folder.

Nothing else.

Level 9

This is puzzling! Is there any chance that some of the files from the shared folder you want to add have been deleted recently? Meaning some files are still stored in the local cache of other users, but perhaps aren't 'permanently' deleted, and thus taking up more space than 500MB as it appears? 

Seems unlikely. My wife has access to the shared folder. It was 500mb a few days ago and it's still 500mb now.

Also, to add to the mystery, I can add a different shared folder of around 550mb with no issues. I deleted this other folder from Dropbox yesterday to make sure I had more than enough free space to add the new shared folder.

Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info, @tom_brennan!

Out of curiosity, could you please ask the user who shared this folder with you to share a different/new folder?  

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

No issues with adding a different folder from the same user. Around 120mb. The problem seems very much restricted to this particular folder.

Dropboxer
Thanks for checking this out for me, @tom_brennan

I’ve followed up with an email to the email address associated with your Community profile so as to investigate a bit more in-depth. Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you! grinning face

Lusil

I found the root of the problem.

If I go to my wife's computer (she already has access to this shared folder) and click on the folder properties in Windows Explorer (Windows 10), it reports 499MB / 954 files / 140 folders.

If I go to Dropbox.com on her computer and get it to show me the folder size, it reports 1.19GB.

The latter seems correct, since if I:
1) go to the Windows command prompt and run dir /a/s, I get 1886 files / 884 directories / ~1.2GB
2) look through the directories individually, I can find > 500MB of files
There doesn't seem to be a syncing problem - as far as I can tell, the files are all there on my wife's computer. It's just that Windows Explorer is reporting the wrong folder size.

I've never seen this before in Windows, so maybe the Dropbox app is conflicting with Windows Explorer? The same issue seems to be in this thread:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Space/My-Dropbox-folder-size-is-different-on-my-account-online-amp-o...

Also, maybe when you try to add an oversize folder to Dropbox, instead of the current message:
"Not enough space.
To add this folder, you’ll need more space in your Dropbox."
the message could say:
"Not enough space
To add this folder, you’ll need 1.19GB of space, but you only have 1.01 GB in your Dropbox."

Dropboxer
Thanks for your detailed post and for keeping us in the loop, @tom_brennan. I’m glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end. 

As for the feedback, it’s definitely something helpful so I’ve made sure to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration. 

Don’t hesitate to give us a shout if you have any other questions in the future and, in the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead.

Lusil

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

"Not enough space" when adding folder
9 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post