cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2GB used but my folder is empty?

My account keeps saying it's full - but it isn't

frot
New member | Level 2

Hi - I have a 6.3 GB basic account with less that 1.2 GB of data in it, but I keep getting notifications saying the account is full, and it isn't syncing. I've double checked my folders and cleaned out all deleted items, but it makes no difference. I have been unable to contact any sort of support through the website, so am hoping someone might know how to fix this. Thanks.

334 Replies 334

Fergal O.
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Hannah- that was exactly the problem. I could find no trace of that in my account.

It doesn't explain anywhere what is consuming the memory.

I assume this is when I stick in a memory card and for some reason Dropbox opens up and asks to back it up. 

I don't even know where or why that was turned on. I don't ever remember allow Dropbox to make requests like that.

It's probably a way of targetting free users to choke up their usage and force conversion to a paid account.

Any way a lesson learned. 

elsar
Explorer | Level 4

Hello everyone!

I use drop box to sync journal articles between my desktop and my laptop, which uses about 500mb of space. My dropbox account has 5.75gb account.

After reconnecting Dropbox (for some reason it signed me out, i mistakenly said yes to letting it back up my documents folder which filled the space to 15gb, well over my limit). I've attempted to rectify the problem (at this point there are no backups, no folders or files are shared, nothing showing on drop box locally or online outside of the 500mb of journal articles) I even unlinked all my devices. But the problem remains it believes i have 15gb of storage used when I don't. Anyway to fix this, otherwise I'll need to drop dropbox and use something else!

Jodes
Helpful | Level 5

My dropbox folder is empty. I have other users who have shared their folders with me, and yet I'm now being told by dropbox I've maxed out my 2GB and can't access anything anymore. I'm super frustrated with this. My own folder is empty, why does DropBox include anyone elses folder that they've shared with me, I would have thought what they shared with me would be their folder capacity not mine? 

hj1980
New member | Level 2

I came here to ask the same question. Someone sharing something with me, they have obviously paid for that storage. I just want to download the shared file.

Sargo1
New member | Level 2

Dropbox has stopped working as it says I have exceeded my storage limit.  I have completely permanently deleted all content e.g. files, shared folders, photos and have checked Events to see if I have missed anything.  I have then logged off and reopened my account however the message is still there that I have exceeded my storage limit despite there being absolutely nothing stored. How can I get my account working again??

elsar
Explorer | Level 4

I'm in the same situation as you so don't have an answer. One other thing to check is if you have any backups from an external device or a backup of your desktop/download/documents etc. Other than that, I'm also waiting for an answer on this.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @elsar, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

Can you please send us a screenshot of what you see in this page?

Thanks in advance!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

elsar
Explorer | Level 4

Untitled.jpg

Hi Hannah,

Here's the screenshot, as you can see no backups!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @elsar, and sorry for jumping in. 

In case you haven’t done so already, can you please go to your All files page and calculate the size of any files/folders that may be located there? What’s the size of the largest file/folder that you see?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

elsar
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy, the largest folder i can see in all files contains the journal articles it is 462mb, the rest of the files combined amount to less than 30mb.

It's really quite confusing.

Need more support?