cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox

Am I out of storage? What will happen to all my photos?

Merry2
Explorer | Level 3

Message saying 2g left on Dropbox what's it mean I'm not tech savvy says files won't be saved,do I have to pay for more storage what will happen to all my photos ?

19 Replies 19

Mark
Super User II

@Merry2 wrote:

Hi again hannah

Dropbox just emailed me again saying I've used  80% of space and requesting me to update my plan and I need to make a payment,shall I ignore this.

Regards merry 

As long as you are not over quota you are fine - just keep an eye on it 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Merry2
Explorer | Level 3

OK thankyou

pbxUser
New member | Level 2
In regard to the previous post:
'Hi, I got this message through an email on my phone,it says I have used 1.6 gb out of 2gb and my files will not synch up shortly,something about space?
I have no idea,will I lose all my photos'
I received the exact same email which sounds a little threatening unless I pay to upgrade.
Dropbox Staff and Support - Could you please clarify with corresponding answers to each number:
1a. Does this mean when you reach 2 Gig that Dropbox will delete all our saved files if we do not choose the Paid Upgrade ?
1b. If we reach 2Gig, at the point of being notified by Dropbox, do we have an option to delete some files to stay on the free plan or is it too late ?
2. Does this mean that Dropbox will Delete our Account if we do not upgrade ?
3. Can we Share folders or files with others, if it is under 2 Gig and we are on Free Plan (not paying) ?
4. Does Dropbox automatically delete an Account, after not signing in for eg. a few years ? 
5. Is there a time frame that you may lock us out after a period of not signing in ?
Thanks !

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @pbxUser, let's jump right into this! 

Keep in mind that my response might be a little lengthy, to cover all the questions you have. 

First of all, no. Dropbox won't delete anything.

If your account becomes over quota all that should happen is that syncing stops. Dropbox will only sync until you hit your quota, so if you are over quota all that should happen is that Dropbox will not sync any new files. 

You can always delete content, to bring your account storage below quota. 

We will also not delete your account if you don't upgrade. As for shared folders: you can share and receive shared folders, as long as these folders don't exceed your storage space. 

If you have 1GB  available, that means you can receive content up to 1GB, no more. 

Last but not least, yes, Dropbox will delete an account after approximately 1 year of inactivity. We always notify the users, in order for them to sign into the account, and keep it active if they need to prevent that.

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Merry2
Explorer | Level 3
Thankyou that's exactly what I was trying to say XXX merry xxx

Crliev
Explorer | Level 3
Hi. If run if I in out of storage that I used from a free trial what would happen to my photos and videos

Mark
Super User II

As soon as you hit your limit it will stop syncing. So files above your storage space wont be uploaded to Dropbox and would stay on the devices themselves waiting for you to get more quota 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Crliev
Explorer | Level 3
So, just to confirm my files won’t be deleted ?

Mark
Super User II

No they wont be, all syncing will just stop. 

Crliev
Explorer | Level 3
Thank you
Need more support?