cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Not happy with your Spotify Wrapped? Check out how Kevin on the Dropbox team used Paper to make sure he keeps discovering new music over here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Business Plan with 6T space, yet tells I haven't the space for 1.6T

Business Plan with 6T space, yet tells I haven't the space for 1.6T

dmcclure
Explorer | Level 3

I've set a folder to Online only,

My account has plenty space, yet keeps giving the error message that there is not enough space.  I would understand if these are being made available for offline, but this seems to be an error on DropBox's side.

It seems to continue referring to my PC's storage space, which is not enough for 1.6T even though my dropbox folder is set to Online Only.

Has anyone dealt with this?

I'm using PC.

5 Replies 5

Re: Business Plan with 6T space, yet tells I haven't the space for 1.6T

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hey @dmcclure, welcome aboard the Dropbox Community.

I'll just need a bit more info, to make sure I understand the issue correctly.

Are you trying to sync a 1.6 TB folder to your Dropbox account, or is this folder already synced to your Dropbox and you've switched it to online-only, but it didn't free up the space?

Because if it hasn't had the time or space to fully sync first, you won't be able to switch it online-only.

You might want to free up some more space, by switching other files and folders to online-only, or by using selective sync, to be able to sync this folder.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

dmcclure
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Hannah,
I’m simply attempting to upload the 1.6 TB of files, with our business account having more than enough free space.
They have not been uploaded before, nor am I prompted of any sort of timeline process.
I downloaded the app and am using that to bring in a single 1.6TB folder.
The 1.6 TB folder of material is on an external hard drive, and there is not enough space for the files to be on my PC first. Thus, the “online only” function.

Please let me know how I can upload this folder-

Nancy
Dropboxer

Hey @dmcclure, I hope it’s alright if I jump in, as well.

From what you mention, I understand that you’re trying to upload this folder from your external hard drive to your Dropbox app, but your main hard drive, where the desktop app’s installed, doesn’t have the required space.

In this case, it’s necessary for this folder to first sync locally on your main hard drive, so that it can be uploaded to your Dropbox account.

What I can suggest is to upload the files within this folder in small batches, depending on the available hard drive space you have, and use selective sync to remove them from your Dropbox app and have them appear only on your web account. This way, you can upload everything to Dropbox, without affecting your computer's storage.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

dmcclure
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy,

so there is no way for 1.6 TB to upload to dropbox from an external drive, unless I have 1.6TB of free drive space on my computer running dropbox?  

And the online option is limited to 50gigs or else it asks you to use the desktop app?

Hannah
Dropboxer

I'm afraid you can only add the folder the way Nancy suggested.

At the moment, the upload limit through our website is 50 GB indeed. You can see more info about this here.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    dmcclure Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?