cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I transfer backup to new machine?

Can I transfer backup to new machine?

Cozmic
New member | Level 2

I just moved to a new MacBook pro, by copying everything from my old one from a time machine backup.  Is it possible to transfer 'ownership' of my dropbox backups to my new mac?  Dropbox seems instead to be creating a new identical backup, but I'd rather just use the existing one - particularly out of storage space concerns.

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Cozmic, thanks for posting your question to our Community.

I'm not really clear on what you're seeing on your end now, after installing the Dropbox app on the new computer, can you tell me more about that?

The backed up files from another computer, wouldn't be accessible locally on the new one; you'd be able to access them from your backups page online.

Did you move the files from your old backup to the desktop folders on the new computer and enabled Dropbox backup again?

Any additional info would be really helpful.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Cozmic
New member | Level 2
I am not sure how else to word my question, to be honest. Isn’t migrating backups to a new machine a clear enough use case?

It’s also not unusual - Apple, for example, allow you to inherit an old machine’s Time Machine backups when you migrate to a new machine.

Perhaps another way of framing the question is: can I restore files from a Dropbox backup to a different machine than the one I backed them up from? (Still not as useful as transferring ownership…)

Cozmic
New member | Level 2
To answer your specific questions: installing Dropbox worked fine, and I managed to get the files in place that I wanted to. But I had to make a new backup of the files I was backing up to Dropbox, and I had to delete my old backup of them. (Regrettable, because it does mean that I lost the backup history.)

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Cozmic, I hope you’re doing well. 

Can you please check these steps, and let me know if they help with what you’d like to achieve?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Cozmic New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?