cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access a plan, how to get access to shared content?

Can't access a plan, how to get access to shared content?

dropshark
New member | Level 2

HI ALL> I WANT TO ACCESS MY MOMS FUNERAL PHOTOS AND MOVIES. My mom is dying and I am on food stamps and my siblings want to share stuff with me on THEIR folders. I was an early adopter to DROPBOX and if someone shared something with you that was large and you downloaded it, or accessed it you didn't have to be charged that storage because someone else was already paying drop box for it.  Dropbox is double dipping by asking me to pay $9.99 a month for content that my siblings are already paying you for to be stored.

I don't have then money and it is really frustrating. I can't access family files without paying you $120 a year? It is frustrating and harmful.

Do you have plans for people on food stamps? AMAZON does. And GOOGLE DRIVE doesn't charge people 2x for sharing large files. Thanks for setting a poor corporate greed example. Does anyone have a better idea about how to use dropbox for less or just access files to download them without this nonsense? It isn't fair. It isn't right. 

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dropshark, sorry to hear about that!

It sounds like your siblings are sharing the folder directly your way, right? Keep in mind that a shared folder takes up space from all accounts that are in that shared folder. 

If you're a member of a shared folder, you have your own copy of that folder in your account, so you need to have enough space available in your account as well.

You can instead ask them to create a shared link to the folder in order for you to view the files on the site, without adding to any account.

I hope this helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dropshark
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the help on this. If they shared the folder as a link would I be able to download the contents of the folder on my device or hard drive? Please let me know. Thank you. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dropshark, you are correct; if the files are sent as a 'can view' link, you'll be able to access and download them to your computer, without them taking up space in your own account.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    dropshark New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?