cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is not recognizing my paid account.

Dropbox is not recognizing my paid account.

RobertJudge
Explorer | Level 3

I bought a 1 TB account in 2016 and have paid for it since then.  I have much less than 1 TB of files in my Dropbox.  However, lately I am getting messages from Dropbox with the Subject, "Out of storage: Robert, please review your options."  How can I get Dropbox to recognize that I am not of storage and that I should not be getting these messages?

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II

@RobertJudge wrote:

I bought a 1 TB account in 2016 and have paid for it since then.  I have much less than 1 TB of files in my Dropbox.  However, lately I am getting messages from Dropbox with the Subject, "Out of storage: Robert, please review your options."

You likely have two different accounts; the one you've been paying for, and a free one that you've actually been using. Use the credit card charge lookup tool to identify the account that you're being charged for, then sign in to that account and move your files there.

RobertJudge
Explorer | Level 3

Rich,

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I assume that both accounts use my same email address. 

When I log into Dropbox, it takes me to my "free" account, not my paid account.  I do not have any files in the free account that I want.  I am thinking that I could just delete that "free account," assuming that Drobox will then be forced to recognize only my paid account.  Do you think that would work?

- Robert Judge

Rich
Super User II

@RobertJudge wrote:

I assume that both accounts use my same email address.

That's not possible. Each account will have a unique email address.

I am thinking that I could just delete that "free account," assuming that Drobox will then be forced to recognize only my paid account.  Do you think that would work?

No, because your other account will use a different email address. Use the link in my previous reply to identify the paid account, and it will tell you what email address was used to create it.

RobertJudge
Explorer | Level 3

Rich,

Thanks for your patience.  I tried that link.  It leads me to a request for a "transaction ID," which I do not have.  I then got a "Billing Help" page which asked me for similar information about my account.  But when I get into Dropbox, it only recognizes my "free" account, so I cannot obtain any information about my paid account.  Sorry for the trouble.

- Robert Judge

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @RobertJudge, how are you paying for your Dropbox subscription? Through a credit card/PayPal or iTunes/Google Play?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RobertGJudge
New member | Level 2

Hannah,

Yes, a credit card.  To answer you, I just had to sign in with a new Dropbox Community name of RobertGJudge instead of RobertJudge.  I do not know why that happened.

- Robert Judge

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

If you had to sign in with a different username, that means that you indeed have two different Dropbox accounts.

You should now be signed in to your second account; do you see that the @RobertGJudge account is your paid one, if you go to the account settings here?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

RobertJudge
Explorer | Level 3

Hannah:

Yes, I think that is the problem.  I think I have two Dropbox accounts:

1. removed

2. removed (with a dot between "Robert" and "Judge."

I think removed is the paid account and [email removed as per Community Guidelines] is the free account.  In that case, it seems that simply deleting the free account will solve the problem.  Do you agree?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @RobertJudge, yes, that should stop the messages. 

If you need anything else, let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    RobertJudge Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    RobertGJudge New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?