cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox says my box is full, but when I check it seems like it isn't.

Dropbox says my box is full, but when I check it seems like it isn't.

Setgirl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have seen older posts about this so am writing again. Dropbox says by box has reached it's limit and I have to upgrade. I don't want to because I don't use it that much. I have deleted almost everything in it, so I don't understand why this is happening. I have had this dropbox for years and have consistently deleted things I wasn't using. I don't know why this is happening now. I have the basic service so can't contact anyone.

What can I do? This is very frustrating.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Setgirl wrote:

Dropbox says by box has reached it's limit and I have to upgrade. ... I have deleted almost everything in it, so I don't understand why this is happening.

Have you change your Backups page? What does the Plan page show for your usage?

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Setgirl wrote:

Dropbox says by box has reached it's limit and I have to upgrade. ... I have deleted almost everything in it, so I don't understand why this is happening.

Have you change your Backups page? What does the Plan page show for your usage?

Setgirl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That was it. I have just worked on a show that involved a lot of people and folders and large shared files, which was the only thing left in the box...I don't quite understand why that never happened before, but in any case, deleting that and the everything in the deleted files folder took care of it. Thanks so much !

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Setgirl wrote:

deleting ... everything in the deleted files folder took care of it.

Glad to hear it's sorted now. Keep in mind that files in the Deleted Files section do not take up space in your account. There's no need to permanently delete files to gain more space as the space used by those files was already reclaimed when you first deleted them.

Setgirl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Oh, I wondered about that as I did it ! I have all the important stuff, so it's not a problem. Thanks for telling me. The only time I ever use it is when working with other people who use it, so I don't pay much attention !

The computer is still a mystery to me....I am really a dinosaur.

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same exact issue, except I have absolutely nothing saved on Dropbox. I can't view a download someone sent to me, it says my storage is full on the message, alhtough their website says I have 2 GB unused. Can't figure out how to contact anyone on Dropbox. I hate this company

Setgirl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I know how you feel. If you have had files in your dropbox and deleted them, the post from Rich Super User above told me where to look and I found all the automatic backups in my dropbox...it turned out that almost all of the space was taken up by shared files from a project I was working on. When I dumped those files all my free space was free again. Look at your backups page and your plan page. I forget which one it was on. Good luck !

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you, I'll see if there's something I'm missing, appreciate your kind response. I was so frustrated earlier 

mish80
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

i have 2.8 storage in my account. my storage is full and i was asked for upgrade

but my data is only 700 mega not 2.8 g. i deleted all my data but i still have 2.1 giga. i dont know what is this storage or how can i delete it

pls help

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Have you looked at www.dropbox.com/backups ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    mish80 Explorer | Level 4
    1846639 New member | Level 2
    Setgirl New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?