cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox uses all of my Hard Drive

Dropbox uses all of my Hard Drive

Lex J
New member | Level 2

Hello, 

We have used Dropbox since the very beginning of our company and we like the software a lot. But there is one issue that has always loomed over every colleague and that is how selective sync / smart sync / freeing up space / selecting folders to showcase on your drive directly seems to act on its own terms. 

Our Dropbox has around 7TB of assets in it, and when the Drobpox smart sync/selective sync works it feels good as I assume in the background it's constantly syncing and desyncing, and I think having a feature where Drobpox won't sync over X gb of free space would solve all of our problems. 

But as of writing, I have selective sync on, I selected all folders we have and made them Online-Only, in preferences I only showcased the one folder I need in hopes the tool would understand to stop syncing the rest, but here I am writing with 3gb of space left of my 100gb with a nearly fresh installed PC. And Dropbox is telling me he's going to sync 133GB for me which will take it 2 days. 

I'm not the only person in our company that has this problem from time to time and a lot of colleagues have thrown the app off their PC completely and just locally download and delete files which isn't something I'm very keen of.

Very curious what is going wrong here and if there are any solutions to fix it. 

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Lex J, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of your Dropbox folder, showing that your files do have the cloud icons on them and are indeed online-only?

And can you also right-click on the Dropbox folder, choose 'properties' and send me a screenshot of that info too?

Thanks in advance!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lex J
New member | Level 2

Here you go, screenshot in dutch unfortunately.

LexJ_0-1675680200660.png

LexJ_1-1675680254073.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Lex J, it looks like it's working normally, since there is only 426MB being used up to store the online-only files. Do you have a large number of these files?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Lex J New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?