cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete Dropbox from one Windows account

How to delete Dropbox from one Windows account

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8

I have two different Windows  “accounts” that I can log onto my computer under. (Only one is supposed to have all my data folders, etc..) Don’t ask me why or how, but when I was setting up Dropbox I had some trouble and ended up setting it up under both accounts. I just figured out that when I’m logged onto my “alter-identity” (the account I don’t normally use), it is busily downloading my thousands of Dropbox files—and presumably filling up my hard drive? 

This is probably pretty simple, but just to make sure I don’t screw something up—How do I eliminate Dropbox from my alternate account, and free up the hard disc space it was using--without destroying the files on my main account?

Thnx…

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II

First, make sure that both accounts are using a separate Dropbox folder. The Dropbox folder is normally installed to your user profile, so unless you did something to point both installs to a single folder, they're likely already separate. Just make sure first.

Once you're certain that they're using separate Dropbox folders, uninstall Dropbox from your alternate account and then delete the Dropbox folder (uninstall first, then delete, not the other way around). If you want a little peace of mind, rename the folder instead of deleting it, then make sure everything is Ok and still working in your main account. If all is well, delete the old Dropbox folder.

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8

Thanks Rich. So just to make sure--You mean uninstall Dropbox by going into Windows Settings\Apps & Features, and uninstalling it there? That won't uninstall it from the whole computer, including my "real" account?

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox is installed per user. If you want to be certain you can just unlink the unwanted installation instead of uninstalling if you want. Go to the link below and read the section titled Unlink your Windows computer from the desktop application.

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8

Thanks again Rich!

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8

Rich,

FYI, I think I did exactly as discussed above: I disconnected DB in my alternate profile (I have not yet deleted the files from that disconnected DB folder); however, today I received a notice from DB that I had deleted 3000+ files, and did I mean to? Upon checking, I found that many files, from scattered throughout my folder hierarchy, were missing—the same ones that DB listed as having been deleted yesterday. I have now reinstalled them. Upon further examination, I see that these seem to be the same ones that had been loaded onto my alternate Windows profile/account, which I disconnected, as you suggested. Apparently disconnecting it caused the files to be deleted from all my profiles/devices! Do you understand this? Does it make sense? Thank goodness for the large file deletion notification that alerted me!

Rich
Super User II

Doesn't make sense at all because unlinking a device does not delete files.

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8

Yes, it's a total mystery to me. Scary though.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tom V Collaborator | Level 8
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?