cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How under 5 GB can be 7GB and how deleting 7GB can take forever time?

How under 5 GB can be 7GB and how deleting 7GB can take forever time?

CptnZephyr
Explorer | Level 3

Plan is reducing from 30,5GB to 5,5GB tomorrow. So, trying to free some space.

Dropbox folder is now under 5GB. 

"Subscriptions" show: Using 14 GB of 30.5 GB, Regular files (14 GB), Shared files (0 bytes) Unused space (16.5 GB)

There's one external drive backup( memorystick) , which took 6GB when I copied it all to hard drive. About 7GB when in memorystick (?) 

Now, 14GB minus 7GB is 7GB, not 5, as is all remaining data. So, why are their claiming otherwise? Is it just showing wrong, or is there still something hidden somewhere, and if, how to get rid of it??

As you can see above no shared files, and only this one ext. drive backup.

AND, when trying to delete the ext.drive backup, it's now been doing that (?? or is it just frozen on an eternal loop?) well over one hour, and still going on. And as you know, there's no progress bar or anything to tell if it's doing anything, and how long still..

- I expect no that it will NEVER work.dbox.jpg

And yes, that figure, square, after "cancel" is still moving, so it is not frozen, but I think the system is.

Any Ideas, anyone 🙄? for these TWO (2) questions? ( 1: Where is missing 2GB?  and 2. Will that deleting EVER work?

- Thanks!

2 Replies 2

CptnZephyr
Explorer | Level 3

Okay. I was both right, and wrong.  Mainly wrong. Sorry.

- Ext drive containing 6 GB did take 9GB backup space. I don't know why. Maybe it did contain some older versions of some files, maybe not. Did not look.

- But I was also right: deleting of the backup via desktop app DID NOT work, it just went on for over two hours, but nothing came of it. Eternal loop.

Instead, I found finally a way to do the same via dropbox.com. Must have been blind before, left han corner grid, and there amongst all other stuff. Worked in one minute.

Case solved.

(BUT, just you know do not try deleting backup in the desktop app, you can't rely on it, and may just end up loosing a lot of time as I did.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @CptnZephyr, thanks for the information. 

This should help other users who have similar questions in the future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    CptnZephyr Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?