cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect dropbox space usage on windows

Incorrect dropbox space usage on windows

storion
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Guys,

My local Windows Dropbox is fully synced with my online Dropbox.  Windows Explorer file/properties shows my Dropbox folder is 576 MB but to my surprise, dropbox.com and dropbox app both say my dropbox is full. I have checked the plan tab and found my regular file size is 3.4 GB which is not correct. My shared folder only takes less than 100 MB. What is going on here? Why the discrepancy? Any inputs?

Thanks,

Tao

673 Replies 673

stephan_p
New member | Level 2

How did this happen, I used a new SSD disk, but did not tell this Samsung disk to back up data to Dropbox? Thank you for this hint. Best regards Stephan

Rich
Super User II

@stephan_p wrote:

How did this happen, I used a new SSD disk, but did not tell this Samsung disk to back up data to Dropbox?

You must have received a prompt asking if you wanted to back it up, and responded yes. It could be easy to miss, especially if you're just blindly clicking through prompts to close a window.

hatchmar
New member | Level 2

I had more than 1/2 a gig of storage left for a long time.  I haven't taken more than a dozen pictures in the past few months and have not done anything else to take any space.  now suddenly just over 500 MB disappeared.... just enough to take me slightly over the limit and now I am being bombarded with ads for this ridiculous $100+ upgrade package...(which is the minimum and completely unaffordable to most of us).  I don't want to waste hours trying to find how they inflated my storage usage but i suspect a few MB was somehow tagged onto my existing photos and I don't know how to prove it.  I am CERTIAN I haven't uploaded that much and defiantly not overnight,  I had just checked the day before how much was left.  so its not just a coincidence.

PS- the only help I can get from drobox is a sales pitch to rent more space

Rich
Super User II

@hatchmar wrote:

I don't want to waste hours trying to find how they inflated my storage usage but i suspect a few MB was somehow tagged onto my existing photos and I don't know how to prove it.

They didn't inflate your storage. Dropbox doesn't do that. If you're using an extra 500MB of space that you weren't using yesterday, then something was added to your account to take up that space. A shared folder, the backup feature, etc., something has used the space.

If you haven't added anything to the account yourself, make sure you don't have any backups taking up the space. Check your Backups page.

vicsver13
New member | Level 2

Hello. My free Dropbox storage 2 G was full. I got messages saying that my Dropbox storage is all used up and my files aren't syncing. They offered to improve my account. But I want to stay the Dropbox Basic (2 G).  So I emptied my folder. But my new files are not synchronized because the backup storage is full. How to free up backup storage? How to update my Dropbox Basic account?  I only see the message that my storage is full and the offer to upgrade my account to Dropbox Plus. But I can’t restore my Dropbox Basic. Can anyone help?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @vicsver13, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

If your account is full due to backup files, you can see and delete them here.

And if you need some additional space, take a look at this article for more info.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

vicsver13
New member | Level 2

Thanks a lot! 

Marius5
New member | Level 2

Hi there. It seems that there is an issue with dropbox. I am getting the dropbox is full error but I dont have the amount of usage as what is indicated by the program. I am using around 1.5gb and the program is saying that I am using 16gb. Any help please?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Marius5, thanks for posting on the Dropbox Community.

Can you check your space usage in the plan tab of your account settings? Does it show the same thing?

Is it possible that you have any backup files taking up your space?

You can check that here.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CATUNGA
Explorer | Level 4
Thank you for taking the time to help me!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    kimbo990 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    ennor New member | Level 2
    CATUNGA Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?