cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue moving where Dropbox is located on this PC

Issue moving where Dropbox is located on this PC

timmus
New member | Level 2

Dropbox was located in my C drive under my user account but was taking up too much space. 

Trying to move it to D drive

I followed the instructions to single click the Dropbox app in taskbar

Preferences - Sync - Choose where your Dropbox is located on this PC then selected my Data: D drive

I then signed out of the desktop app

It now has dropbox both there and still in the C drive: user

When I go back to Preferences- Sync, it shows the Dropbox folder location as C:/Users

I am worried about deleting any of these folders on the C and D drives.

How may I have my Dropbox ONLY in my D Drive and free up my C?

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

@timmus wrote:

I then signed out of the desktop app ... It now has dropbox both there and still in the C drive: user

Did you wait for Dropbox to finish moving the folder? It can take quite a while, especially if you have a large Dropbox folder. If you signed out of the app shortly after using the Move option, you likely signed out before the process was completed. Have you tried to do it again? If not, rename the Dropbox folder in your D drive to Dropbox.OLD and try the move process again, and make sure you give it plenty of time to finish moving.

timmus
New member | Level 2
Thank you for the quick reply
The progress bar for the transfer was no longer up before I signed out

I had received an error message during the transfer, "There's already a copy of D:\Dropbox\Network(then name of a file) here" and then I believe the process just stopped.
There was nothing in the Data (:D) folder before initiating the transfer

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @timmus, could you clarify why you signed out of the Dropbox desktop application itself? This would unlink your desktop device from your account entirely and prevent the moving at at later stage, since it would be signed out.

As @Rich said, the desktop needs time to transfer the files to the new location.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

timmus
New member | Level 2

I attempted the folder move again to move Dropbox from my C to D drive and the process finished (after I deleted the file which received an error the first time).
Dropbox is now on the D Drive, however, I am unable to access many of the files. They are visible, but when I double click to open as usual, receive the following message from Adobe:There was an error opening this document. The file cannot be accessed by the system.
In excel, the error message reads, "Excel cannot open the file "X" because the file format or file extensions not valid. 
Any experience with this?

timmus
New member | Level 2

I just moved where Dropbox was located on my PC from the C to D drive.

Dropbox is now on the D Drive, however, I am unable to access many of the files.

They are visible, but when I double click to open as usual, several do not open

PDFs show the following error message: "There was an error opening this document. The file cannot be accessed by the system."

Excel files read: "Excel cannot open the file "X" because the file format or file extension is not valid."

The web and mobile versions of Dropbox are able to access these files perfectly.
I'm only unable to open through the folders on my PC.

Rich
Super User II

@timmus wrote:

Dropbox is now on the D Drive, however, I am unable to access many of the files. ... Any experience with this?

The files may be marked as Online-only which some applications can have trouble with. Take one of the files with this error, right-click on it and select Make available offline. Wait for it to sync (will show a green check) and then try to open it as you normally would.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    timmus New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?