cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It says my Dropbox is full

It says my Dropbox is full

geoffrob50
Explorer | Level 3
do not understand why my 2.0gb Dropbox would be full.

I have a Desktop which is 0.5GB only 60% used.
I have a laptop which is 0.5gb which is 70% used
I have a 256mb iphone which is 50% used.

I do not have any sharing folders set up so I cannot comprehend why my Dropbox is full.

Please explain
11 Replies 11

Rich
Super User II

@geoffrob50 wrote:
I do not have any sharing folders set up so I cannot comprehend why my Dropbox is full.

Check your Backups page.

geoffrob50
Explorer | Level 3

Backups page shows nothing and will not display anything

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @geoffrob50, sorry to jump in here, but could you clarify what's reported in your account's plan tab in regards to your quota?

Do you see any files or folders that would account for the storage space being used in your homepage

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

geoffrob50
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter    I have a 2.0gb allowance for my Dropbox with 3 units sync'd.    I have looked at the files and the only large one is Photos.  However I have all my photos on my iphone which is 256mb and am only using 60% of my phone in total with everything.   What I think is happening with Dropbox is that they are duplicating the same information that is on my phone, Desktop and Laptop which does not make any sense to me.  As previously stated I have a 512mb SSD on both my Desktop and Laptop and neither of them are full.  I wondered if there was anything special in settings that would cause this but cannot find anything.  There is defintely somthing funny in the way Dropbox is doing things as there is NO way a 2.0gb storage backup should be full with using these 3 units.  I did delete a load of files which created some space but was out of space again within 2 days.  Maybe it is Drpboxes way of getting more money from people. If so it is not healthy in my opinion.

michael_oost
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

I have the same problem in the last days. Pictures but you can't open them.

Unbelievable

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @geoffrob50, have you tried these steps to calculate the size of folders and view the size of files on our website, to make sure you're not missing something?

Do you actually see any duplicate files?

As for you @michael_oost, would you mind clarifying your issue a bit?

Are you not able to open your pictures, because your account is full? 

Are you getting some kind of error message, when trying to open them?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

geoffrob50
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for telling me how to check file sizes.  

I started doing this and recording them but decided I wanted to look deeper into a couple of files and have found that Drpbox has added other information into some files which is nothing to do with the file. No wonder my dropbox is showing as full. It has somhow mixed House information with Business information and Wills information in one file name which most certainly are not mixed on my computer.  It has been duplicating information and I think in some instances quadrupaling information.  Within Photo's it has created so many duplicates I am lost for words. The only thing I can say that is positive is that it has saved everything, but many times over which is why it is saying my Dropbox is full. It would take me days to view every file in detail and not sure how I would go about deleting things as it has mixed information on some files so would not just want to delete the file but some of the contents which are dupliacted.  What a mess

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update here.

Hmm, are all these photos uploaded to your account automatically through camera uploads?

Do you perhaps have any third party apps accessing those photos and/or Dropbox, that might be creating multiple versions of the same file?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

geoffrob50
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

It is not as straight forward as duplicating files.  My photos are uploaded from various routes but mainly when I plug my phone in and transfer them.  There are many photos stored on my computer from History way before I ever had dropbox and even some of those photos are now appearing in radom files. But they are NOT in random files on my computer. In my Amazon account which also backs up my photos nothing is duplicated with them and it is very well managed.   

I am not against the principles of Dropbox but only if it works properly.

It has somehow added data and images to files that are nothing to do with those files. I even checked my computer files to make sure that a named file only contained what it should and it did.  It seems to me as though it has radomly added data and images to some files which has duplicated many images and pieces of data.  This explains why Dropbox is saying it is full but it shouldn't be as I only have on my 3 devices in Total 1.25gb of disc stroage and have 2.0gb of Dropbox space.  It makes a complete mockery of using Dropbox

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    geoffrob50 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?