cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It seems that I can't access files without paying for a subscription

It seems that I can't access files without paying for a subscription

maVenmills
New member | Level 2

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to check for an old document that is important to me, regarding my education at university.  I remembered I had used Dropbox for quite a long time, but now when I go to check the contents, I am unable to see my files without paying for a subscription.

The data I have in there is just over 3GB.  It used to be that this was well within the free limit, but now they've changed the rules.  How can I see my files (which are mine), then remove files above 2GB (by downloading of course) to be able to continue to use the free version of Dropbox?

Cheers

S

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II

Hi @maVenmills 

Dropbox hasnt changed free quota spaces. If you are over quota you cannot add to the files, but, you can download and delete. You can do this via the software on the computer or the website at www.dropbox.com/home.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

maVenmills
New member | Level 2

Hi Mark,

This is not a solution, unfortunately.

When I click on that link, or attempt to view my dropbox online, I am presented with an unavoidable "Upgrade your plan now" with no way of skipping / getting past.

It appears to me, that they're holding my data as ransom until I upgrade, even though at one stage, my limit was not 2GB and I wasn't paying.  Even my profile says "3.76GB of 3.75GB used" - I had bonus +250MB increments due a loyalty/friend bonus at some point.   

I will try installing the desktop application, however I am not confident based on this new "pay up or else" experience of Dropbox.

I certainly won't continue using them once I have established which data I need backed up.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @maVenmills, hope you’re doing well. 

Just like @Mark mentioned, if your Dropbox account went over-quota, you won’t be able to add new files, but you should be able to access your old ones. 

However, can you send me a full screenshot of what you see on your end? I’d like to take a closer look, if that’s alright.

Thanks!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

madebyanton
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue, can you help?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @madebyanton, could you clarify exactly what you're experiencing?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Arden Luke
New member | Level 2
Mark is correct. I’m having exactly the same issue. I deleted files to stay within the quota and next time I signed in I can’t access the remaining files, even to delete them . Had decided to subscribe, but like Mark, this experience tells me Dropbox is not the right service.

Arden Luke
New member | Level 2
Unclear how to share a screenshot, copy/paste within the text box doesn’t work.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Arden Luke, let's jump right into this! 

Have you tried a different browser, in order to access your Dropbox account and delete some of your content? 

In any case, you should be able to click our camera-like icon when you try to respond back to us, and attach your screenshot here of what you see on your end.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Arden Luke New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    madebyanton New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?