cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More storage for offline file

More storage for offline file

Melonklyftan
Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

I recently needed to offline huge files to make them available for editing on my pc. This required me to uninstall most of my programs and deleting and moving files to external hard drive to make room. I wonder if you have a solution so that I can extend the local storage on my pc, making more room for offline-files? Of course buying a new pc with more storage is obvious, but are there easier ways? Will perhaps a SSD solve it? Could I make it so that the offline files goes to the SSD? Im not that savvy on pc-components, mind you.

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Melonklyftan, thanks for posting on our Community!

If you need more hard drive space, apart from extending your computer's hard drive space, you could use selective sync on folders you don't need locally on your computer as well.

I hope this helps! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Melonklyftan
Explorer | Level 3

Hi! @Walter 

Thank you for the answer! Ive used selective sync which enabled me to make just enough room to offline the file. I still needed to uninstall programs to make enough room though, and I would really like a solution where I get more storage so that I don´t have to worry about freeing up space by removing essential programs. I have today a total of 474 gb in local storage (the file in question were 293 gb)

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Melonklyftan, other than what was already mentioned such as hard drive space, and using selective sync, I can't think of anything else about this. 

You could use an SSD drive, to help you offload programs there. But you wouldn't be able to choose for the offline files to be saved there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Melonklyftan Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?