cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My desktop files are still in my Dropbox folder, even though I disabled backup

My desktop files are still in my Dropbox folder, even though I disabled backup

steve G
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, I'm having problems with dropbox back up. I am trying to get it to stop backing up my folders. I have stopped it in preferences in the desktop app, and right now the options are to turn backups on, so i'm assuming it thinks that its not backing up. However i still have backups in my dropbox folder alongside hundreds of folders called Mac (2) (Selective Sync Conflict 212), I know longer have space in my dropbox because of this issue. Anyone got any ideas? Driving me nuts!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

steve G
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

I think I have finally managed to delete everything and so far, its not coming back. Definitely nothing to do with bandwidth, I've been using dropbox for years without any issues and I have g/bit connection. Will report back if I have further issues.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @steve G, thanks for reaching out and sorry to see you're having trouble with this.

During the process of disabling backup you should have been asked, if you want your files to remain in Dropbox or return to your Mac.

However, can you check your backups page here, to see if your backup appears as disabled?

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

steve G
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah

Thanks for responding. I can't see anything that suggests the backup is disabled. Under status it just says 'done'. If i go the manage backups it says 'lets get started' which suggests that there is no backup?? However I can see 2 back up folders on the back up page. Should I delete these folders?

Thanks

steve

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update here, Steve.

Deleting the folders will definitely free up your Dropbox space, but I would first make sure that you download a copy of them, before deleting them, just to make sure you don't lose any files.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

steve G
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah, I have disabled back ups but i still can't seem to delete the files and whatsmore dropbox now says that it is syncing 5 million + files! My back up definitely wasn't that big! Any thoughts?? Thank you

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 15.20.59.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @steve G, sorry to jump in here, but could you let us know if syncing is stuck at the same number of files or if it's dropped down now?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

steve G
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter. The number of files syncing seems to have now reduced dramatically, although it is still in the 10,000s. I can't seem to turn off or delete the backup that i no longer need and dropbox is still creating numerous files in my documents folder called Mac (2) (Selective Sync Conflict 213). I have turned off syncing on all folders, tried to stop the back ups and even though they appear to have been deactivated in the preferences, its still backing up something. Help!

Thanks

steve

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @steve G, I see. 

Do you see any syncing icons when you access your Backup folder, inside Dropbox?

If I were you, I'd wait until the app is up to date, and then delete any content you don't need. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

steve G
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Megan, you mean on my desktop folder? If so, yes, I've had the blue circle for all the files for days now. Constantly seems to be syncing but in reality doesnt do anything. In the dropdown from the menu bar it has had the same number of files syncing for the whole day, nothing has changed. I'm totally lost with this. No idea what to do. I have 213 selective sync conflict duplicate folders, all of which are trying to sync with something. Any suggestions?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @steve G, could  you send us a screenshot of the app's status as shown in your menu bar at the moment?

Also, have you tried adjusting your bandwidth settings through the app's preferences or rebooting your computer? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    steve G Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?