cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No files, but 2.76 GB of storage

Incorrect dropbox space usage on windows

storion
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Guys,

My local Windows Dropbox is fully synced with my online Dropbox.  Windows Explorer file/properties shows my Dropbox folder is 576 MB but to my surprise, dropbox.com and dropbox app both say my dropbox is full. I have checked the plan tab and found my regular file size is 3.4 GB which is not correct. My shared folder only takes less than 100 MB. What is going on here? Why the discrepancy? Any inputs?

Thanks,

Tao

673 Replies 673

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Herbie747, let's jump right into this!

Those are reminders when you're reaching your account's full capacity. 

Have you by any chance tried unsubscribing from these emails if you no longer wish to receive them? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Toobusyforthiscrap
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox says I'm out of space, so I deleted almost everything, it still says I'm out of space. Who has time for this?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Toobusyforthiscrap wrote:

Dropbox says I'm out of space, so I deleted almost everything, it still says I'm out of space.

If Dropbox is saying you're out of space, you're out of space. Remember to check any shared folders you're a member of because these take up space in your account as well. You can see your actual usage on your Plan page, where it will show you the space used by your regular files and your shared files.

Toobusyforthiscrap
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

busy people don't have time to navigate over complicated systems, I've deleted almost everything, still says dropbox is full, dropbox is for nerds with too much time to faff about

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@storion wrote:

I have checked the plan tab and found my regular file size is 3.4 GB which is not correct. My shared folder only takes less than 100 MB. What is going on here? Why the discrepancy? Any inputs?

Have you checked your Backups page?

storion
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks a lot, Rich! The backup somehow takes 2.9 GB but I am not aware I did a backup before. After deleting it, the storage is correct again.

-Tao

PC_Indiana
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Plan pages shows using 2.76 GB of 4.25 GB storage.

There are NO files, NO shared folders, NO backups, No deleted files, No Deleted backups. I've deleted the cache, rebooted the computer, deleted the dropbox app. 

What is taking 2.76 GB of storage? it is currently NOT set up to sync to any computer or phone. 

Help

PC

Plan.jpgFiles.jpgbackup.jpg

Mike46032
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same issue, hope they solve this

debbieV
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having an issue where it says my DropBox is full, but it's only at 89.4MB, when I should have the 2GB space available. There is no support from the company on this issue. One area tells me I am at 4.1 GB of "Regular Files" and 89.4 MB of Shared Files. What are the Regular Files? How do I delete them? And why is getting a human to answer my question impossible? This doesn't make me want to expand my relationship with DropBox to a larger DropBox subscription.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, thanks for coming to the Dropbox Community with this.

Except for @PC_Indiana, who's already checked, can you also look into whether you have any shared folders that might be taking up your space?

You can check this in the plan tab of your account settings.

Or perhaps you have backup enabled.

Let me know what you find.

As for you, @PC_Indiana, have you perhaps tried contacting our support team about this? If so, can you give me the ticket number of your communication?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?