cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough space but i have next to nothing saved.

Not enough space but i have next to nothing saved.

Robinsley
Helpful | Level 5

I keep getting notifications to say I don't have enough space and that I need to upgrade on Dropbox. I have very little data on there, I have cleared the cache etc and it keeps telling me I have over 3GB stored, but that's just not the case. Can somebody please help sort this for me. TIA

24 Replies 24

Re: Not enough space but i have next to nothing saved.

Rich
Super User II

@Robinsley wrote:
I have cleared the cache etc and it keeps telling me I have over 3GB stored, but that's just not the case.

Clearing the Dropbox cache doesn't do anything to free up space. Check your Plan page. What does it show for usage? Whatever it shows is your actual usage. You can check all the data in your account through the Dropbox website. If you're a member of any shared folders, remember that these take up space in your account as well.

Robinsley
Helpful | Level 5
Thank you for the reply. My plan shows just over 3GB which has taken me over the 3GB allowance. I just don't understand if I've deleted everything, and deleted it out of the deleted section, why it doesn't free space up for me to use again. Do you know the reason why this is? Many thanks.

VolcanoArts
Helpful | Level 5

I have exactly the same problem! I've been stuck for months. I hope just like you that I can find help here

Mark
Super User II

@Robinsley once items are deleted they no longer use up quota, so deleting them again has no benefit. 

When you said you were over 3gb of space did that include any shared folders? THEY use up quota as well. Basically everything you can see at www.dropbox.com/home uses up your space. 

@VolcanoArts - same goes for you. What does the Account plan at www.dropbox.com/account/plan show in terms of using up quota

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

VolcanoArts
Helpful | Level 5

@mark As you can see, the red bar is not equal to the total storage in Dropbox. All folders are selected

2022-05-28 12_54_16-Dokument1 - Word.jpg

Robinsley
Helpful | Level 5
I haven't shared any files, so this wouldn't be an issue. I so want to get back to using Dropbox again. I moved over to Microsoft One Drive and I'm finding it very tiresome not having my files from my computer backed up in am instant like Dropbox does. I thought of Google Drive, but it's such a faff to get Microsoft/Windows to work with Google Drive. I'm just pulling my hair out as I truly can't understand why Dropbox is still showing as full capacity when I can clearly see that there's nothing on there. Any other guidance you could give, would be much appreciated 🙏

Mark
Super User II

@VolcanoArts - the issue is you have shared folders. That has put you over quota (as can be seen by the pink colour). However they stop syncing as soon as you go over quota, so, the files in the share wont be listing on your account as syncing has stopped. 

To sync again delete files or leave the shares.

@Robinsley - so you have nothing at www.dropbox.com/home yet the account is showing 3gb used? And no shares at all at www.dropbox.com/share ? 

Can you post screengrabs of those pages and also www.dropbox.com/account/plan

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

VolcanoArts
Helpful | Level 5

I emptied all "shared folders" and disconnected 20 shared folders. I now have 783MB of data in my DropBox. But it still shows me 23GB.

2022-05-29 15_19_06-Plan - Dropbox.jpg

Robinsley
Helpful | Level 5
Hello. I've taken screenshot of the pages and found I do have a few shared files, I've tried to delete them but they won't, plus they're so small in file size it would not make much difference at all. I have one backup folder on there which I've tried to delete, but again, have not been able to do so. I've deleted the largest folders I had and it didn't make one bit of difference. Anyway, hopefully below are the screenshots you asked for and thank you again if you can help in any way.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

VolcanoArts Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropboxer
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?