cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Permanently deleting files doesn't free up space??

Permanently deleting files doesn't free up space??

nunchy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It says under deleting files that permanently deleting files "won't free up storage".  Question is, why not? and if that doesn't do it, what does? i do not have shared folders BTW. How can i free up space without having to buy more?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Deleted files dont use up quota, so, permanently deleting them makes no difference. 

The only way to get space back is to remove files from Dropbox - basically anything at www.dropbox.com/home is what uses your space. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Deleted files dont use up quota, so, permanently deleting them makes no difference. 

The only way to get space back is to remove files from Dropbox - basically anything at www.dropbox.com/home is what uses your space. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

nunchy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply, and excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between quota and space? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Nothing at all 🙂

Quota is simply how much you can store. Same as space.

nunchy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Got it, thanks so much!

Redwise10D
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to free up space and do not understand why deleting files does not do that!

What is meant by "remove files from dropbox" if that is not deleting files????

Mark
Super User II

@Redwise10D wrote:

I am trying to free up space and do not understand why deleting files does not do that!

What is meant by "remove files from dropbox" if that is not deleting files????

Deleting files does free us space. Thats not what was asked here. Here it was asked if permanently deleting files freed up space. THAT does not because the space was already reclaimed when the files were deleted. The Permanent part is just a second step to make sure they cannot be recovered BUT wont give you more quota back. 

Redwise10D
Explorer | Level 3

Okay, thank you. This issue remains very confusing to me! I deleted a significant number of files and did not regain any space. I was about to click on permanently delete in the trash but then read that permanently deleting would not regain space. But why did deleting to begin with not regain space in my case? 

Mark
Super User II

It can take up to 8 hours to reclaim space - it isnt always instant

Redwise10D
Explorer | Level 3

Ohhhhh!!!! 

Thank you! 

Need more support?