cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Storage Space

Storage Space

paulflute
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi all..

I have a 13.5 gig storage on my account but I am suddenly unable to upload even to 2 gig..

I have an important work file that I can't even access..

I was a very very early dropbox adopter and earned all that storage by getting all my friends to downland and use..

maybe 20 years ago now..? took a while but I've always love dropbox and use it often and still regularly get others to upload it and use it for work.. though they long ago stopped giving me extra storage for that.. I suppose once you are successful you don't need to look after your loyal supporters anymore.. 

Today a colleague sent me a folder and I am just lead to a page that tells me I have not enough space..

I have 1.87 gig used.. While in the same screen it tells me that my account is 13.5 gig..

So I went to look for help only to find that as I don't pay them cash I cannot even email them..

phone numbers address everything is greyed out.. nasty..

and the chat bot doesn't work.. they never work but this one opens in a window half off the screen..

so my only option is to make a community post... very disappointing.. 

might be the end of a long relationship..     ;9(

thanks paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @paulflute, is it a shared folder, or a shared link? 

Provided it's a shared folder, you should be able to view it using your sharing tab. Can you calculate its size using these steps, and let me know more? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Have you checked you've not set up backups? www.dropbox.com/backups ?

Also the error wording on adding shared folders is not clear. If it says you need 2gb it means you need 2gb MORE than you have. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

paulflute
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Mark

I got an email from my colleague inviting me to share a folder.. 

but when I clicked the link it took me to the page in the first image saying that my account is out of storage

you can see form the dropdown that it also says that I have plenty..

second image shows my subscription.. any suggestions..

ta paul

515ff5c3-f647-46f2-b490-f49b572048e6.jpg

92e99c9b-9f72-4f82-a0a4-3f2f023082d0.jpg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Paul! I hope you’re doing well. 

The 2GB of space you see on your first screenshot is the default storage provided by Dropbox for Basic users. In order to see the actual space allocated to your Dropbox account, you’ll need to visit your Plan page (as shown on your second screenshot). So, it looks like you still have a total of 13.5GB on your account.

Can you please clarify what’s the size of the folder that your colleague invited you to?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

paulflute
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Nancy. Thanks for your reply.

I don't know the size of the folder because his link just takes me to the page in the first image saying i need to buy more space..

I can copy the link in  here for you.? Maybe you can see from your side.? Should I do that in this thread.? 

Thanks paul

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @paulflute, is it a shared folder, or a shared link? 

Provided it's a shared folder, you should be able to view it using your sharing tab. Can you calculate its size using these steps, and let me know more? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

paulflute
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Megan.. thanks for your links.. the problem is solved..

I was able to see the size there and the folder is 20 gig..

I will contact my colleague and ask him to remove the unnecessary..

I only need 4 small files for the work he needs from me..

Thanks everyone for your help..  ;9) paul

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Always happy to help @paulflute.

If you need anything else, you know where to find me!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

ana_30
Explorer | Level 3

Can I use drop box to host my files and then make their link and put them on my website. Actually i created a website which is a informational blog about Subway Surfers game where i share all the stuff related to the game like tips and tricks, guides, and latest stuff related to the game. Now the visitors in comment section are asking for the subway surfers apk download link. I research on the internet and found that i can host the file on dropbox and then copy that link and post on my website. Users will be able to download their favorite game using that link. 

Rich
Super User II

@ana_30 wrote:

Can I use drop box to host my files and then make their link and put them on my website. ... visitors in comment section are asking for the subway surfers apk download link.

As long as you're not distributing copyrighted material, then yes, you could put a link on your website to download the file from your Dropbox. If the game is copyrighted or you otherwise don't have the rights to distribute it, then no, doing so would be a violation of the Dropbox Terms and could result in your account being deleted.

Also keep in mind that there are bandwidth limits associated with shared links. If the file is large and you have a lot of people downloading it, you could easily hit those limits.

Need more support?