cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage full- no files

Storage full- no files

32anderson23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Recently received notification that I was running out of storage. I ended up creating another account and transferring it all over to it. All files have been removed from this account and it say I’m using 8.8/8.25gb of storage. I have looked into the backup page- I do not have any backups set up and all shared files have been removed. The whole folder is empty.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Poolsharkboone
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Finally had a breakthrough.  If I opened link to desktop app and initiated a "search" and just typed a single letter, I suddenly had several results.  Following the link to one of them led to some sort of "hidden" backup of sorts.  You can't see it in the root "backup" folder, but indeed you can follow the file (resulted from search) to the folder.  This was where all of my data was being eaten up.  See screenshots.

Poolsharkboone_2-1675821100873.png

Poolsharkboone_0-1675821020682.png

Poolsharkboone_1-1675821081082.png

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

How long ago did you delete the files? If you are in a Team it can take up to 8 hours to clear. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

32anderson23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I deleted/removed items that were not shared last week. I removed all the shared folders this morning. In storage bar it says the 8.8gb is "regular files"

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @32anderson23, sorry to jump in, but could you let us know if you see any files or folders taking up space in your homepage or your backups page

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

32anderson23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey @Walter,

No files or folders on either page.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying that for me @32anderson23 

Could you also send us a screenshot of your plan tab to see what's reported in regards to your quota? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

32anderson23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

IMG_20230207_145144420.jpg

Poolsharkboone
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here.  Have had it for months.  No shared folders/files... no backups... no files remaining on homepage... uninstalled and reinstalled desktop app.  Permanently deleted the trashbin... Removed all other devices... I'm baffled.

Poolsharkboone_0-1675815482765.png

Poolsharkboone_1-1675815497760.png

Poolsharkboone_2-1675815508775.png

Poolsharkboone_3-1675815567125.png

Poolsharkboone
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Finally had a breakthrough.  If I opened link to desktop app and initiated a "search" and just typed a single letter, I suddenly had several results.  Following the link to one of them led to some sort of "hidden" backup of sorts.  You can't see it in the root "backup" folder, but indeed you can follow the file (resulted from search) to the folder.  This was where all of my data was being eaten up.  See screenshots.

Poolsharkboone_2-1675821100873.png

Poolsharkboone_0-1675821020682.png

Poolsharkboone_1-1675821081082.png

32anderson23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Nailed it! Thank you so much!! 

I was starting to think Dropbox was messing with me to try and get me to pay for additional storage..

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

32anderson23 New member | Level 2
    Poolsharkboone New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?