cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage space full

Storage space full

Mark312
Explorer | Level 3

Hi All

I have a DropBox Basic account with 2Gb storage. Recently I started seeing messages that it was nearly full, so I went in and deleted files such as unwanted photos etc. I have the desktop app installed and if I go into the PC folder it shows a maximum of 300Mb in files. I have three other accounts linked for sharing purposes, but none of those have any files in, as I never got round to showing my colleagues how to use theirs so really they're only in place to allow access to certain files.

I've seen previous similar threads on here, some say sharing uses up quota, but I'm not sure this applies for the above reason. Other threads talk about backup - I have never enabled this and it is currently not set up.

It concerns me that since October my storage useage has gone from "Nearly full" to now 2.75Gb. How can this be when I've not added any new files and my file sizes are nowhere near that? I could be forgiven for being cynical and assuming DropBox is just trying to get me to pay some money.

If I can't resolve this I'll just move everything over to another provider.

Any suggestions, please?

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

Have you accidentally activated Dropbox Backups?

www.dropbox.com/backups 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark312
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. 

Clicking on the link you sent shows me it is backing up despite me not activating this.

Can I safely delete the backup without affecting my saved files?

Many thanks

Mark312
Explorer | Level 3

Just a thought, I'm using 2.75Gb and the backups are 2.5Gb, that leaves 0.25Gb that my files are actually using. Surely something is amiss here?

Mark
Super User II

Backups can only be activated by you I'm afraid but the wording on it is easy to miss especially on install. I'd also say ignore all of the data it gives on the screen about size - the whole program is badly designed and implemented and buggy as hell! If you stop backups via the software on your desktop and THEN delete them it should give you your space back

https://help.dropbox.com/organize/how-to-use-dropbox-backup#disable

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark312
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, I'll try that and report back.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark312 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?