cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in allowed space

Sudden drop in allowed space

wendy w.20
Explorer | Level 3

What I tried to ask chat, and just got useless auto-reply:

My allowed space was (until VERY recently) something like 12 or more GB. Now I see that Dropbox is full and no syncing. I have to search to fine the info, but now it says my allocated space is only 9.7gb. What changed?

Other than that Dropbox wants some money from me?

What's really irksome is I received no info from Dropbox announcing this change!

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II

@wendy w.20 wrote:

My allowed space was (until VERY recently) something like 12 or more GB. Now I see that Dropbox is full and no syncing. ... I received no info from Dropbox announcing this change!

Nothing has changed. Check your Backup page.

wendy w.20
Explorer | Level 3

Uh, thanks for quick reply but I DID have more allowed space before.  So I think your reply is incorrect, but your "Check your backup page" reply is a bit terse and unclear for me.

Check it for what? What am I supposed to be seeing?

Rich
Super User II

@wendy w.20 wrote:

Check it for what? What am I supposed to be seeing?

The majority of the people that have asked about their Dropbox being full had activated the backup feature, some unknowingly, resulting in their available space being used by the backups. The Backups page will list any data being used by the feature that you wouldn't normally see when viewing your regular files.

... I DID have more allowed space before.

Check your Referrals page for a list of all the space you've earned. It will also list any space that may have expired (as it's not all permanent).

wendy w.20
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks. Unfortunately, the only drop in space shown on my referral page is from '15. So I still don't know why Dropbox dumped me from ~12GB to 7GB last week. And particularly with NO WARNING.

(Microsoft dropped my allowed space, or started enforcing their free allowed space earlier this year, but they gave PLENTY of warning. )

If you or anyone else has any other ideas of what may have happened, I'd appreciate it.  At this point, I can't afford $10/month for a paid account, and even if I could, I'm a little too disgusted with Dropbox and how they've handled this to pay them money.

(I.e., not warning me about allowed space drop and also that the only "support" they offer is their useless auto-reply chat or this community -- which is a whole lot better than their "chat". That I can't even email them to ask what happened to my space! Sheeze.) So unless this mystery gets solved, I'll do a 1 month "trial" while I look for better solutions. Something allowing 12 - 15GB for less than $10/month, and some semblance of support.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @wendy w.20, it sounds like you had a temporary quota increase from a promotion, which has since expired. These usually last from 3 months to a year in total.

Do you have any emails in your inbox confirming the increase in quota from the activation of a promotion or coupon?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wendy w.20
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply but I have no emails like that. As suggested by the earlier replier, I looked in my referrals page and the only drop was in '15, having to do with a Samsung promotion expiring.

Do you work for Dropbox? If so, I have been severely inconvenienced by the fact that Dropbox gave me NO warning at all that I'd have access to less space, approximately 3GB from what I can tell. Even Microsoft WARNS people when their space allocation is going to be diminished. Why doesn't DB have that common courtesy?

Looking forward to finding a Dropbox alternative now.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Generally, there aren't any emails sent out when a promotional offer is set to expire shortly. If the quota was reduced by 5 GB as you say, then this would match up with a Quicken promotional coupon of 5 GB, is it possible you activated a coupon from their company?

If you're interested in increasing the quota on your account, you can refer other users to Dropbox, which will earn an extra 500 MB per user, by following these steps.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

wendy w.20
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks but you didn't answer my 2 questions:

Do you work for Dropbox? . . .

Even Microsoft WARNS people when their space allocation is going to be diminished. Why doesn't DB have that common courtesy?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @wendy w.20, yes, us Dropboxers do work for Dropbox.

Your feedback regarding this has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

If you need anything else, let us know!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    wendy w.20 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?