cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The backup of the external HDD cannot be deleted after the downgrade, there is no way to delete it

The backup of the external HDD cannot be deleted after the downgrade, there is no way to delete it

African
New member | Level 2

I have a problem that at this point I can't seem to solve. It's just a kind of puzzle. If any of you know how to close my issue, please help. Here's the gist: I needed to make a backup of an external HDD with a bunch of photos. The volume is about 800+ GB. Since I'm not a big fan of Apple Photos (good idea, but mediocre realization), I decided to get a paid subscription to Dropbox (2TB) and try a backup here. The result was disappointing: the constant copy conflicts and creating a "copy number 2" did not satisfy me at all. I unsubscribed and, probably, deleted the unwanted backup of this particular external HDD somehow incorrectly. Deleted on all devices. HOWEVER, after the downgrade, Dropbox told me that my storage was 806.9 GB full while I have 28.9 GB on my free acc (I've been using Dropbox for a long time and used to pump it up very well). I don't see any way to remove unneeded backup by using available tools. None of the Dropbox tips work. Manage Backups from the pref tab does not let me delete the unnecessary backup. The last communication with a live support person was a few days after I quit my paid subscription. Now, since I am not a subscriber, I only have access to a dumb bot who is stumped by my questions and is completely useless. I've been using the service for a long time, I like its reliability and the current situation just makes me frustrated. If anyone can help, please do. All necessary screenshots I will make in any quantity.

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@African wrote:

HOWEVER, after the downgrade, Dropbox told me that my storage was 806.9 GB full while I have 28.9 GB on my free acc ...

Checked your Backups page?

African
New member | Level 2

Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 07.02.03.png

There, there it is again... Thanks for the link, I'm deleting this backup now. Repeating this step over and over. Deleted it in Finder and in the browser. I hope it will work this time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

African New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?