cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

latest update robbed me of 70gb

latest update robbed me of 70gb

mattdopamine
Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I just updated to the new macOS version of dropbox which moves the folder to "cloud storage" and my internal SSD went from 150gb free space to 80gb free space. 99% of my folders and files are online only.

Used the chat support and she told me to turn on selective sync which regained a little but nowhere near what I had before.

Anyone else run into this problem and have a solution?

Thanks,

Matt

5 Replies 5

eriq c.
Helpful | Level 7

If you scour the forums here, you'll find a growing group of Dropbox users writing in about the same issue - this seems to be an Apple-sanctioned requirement of all filesync "systems" where the synced files must now reside in a system folder. Which is really weird if you ask me (us!). So I believe, like Microsoft's OneDrive, the Dropbox will eventually come to find a great solution that will help you move your files, successfully, back onto your previous location or drive. This certainly scared me too! But I was able to re-download Dropbox and then "uncheck" JOIN BETA PROGRAM or something like this option in your app preferences and get it to stay with the current forced version. At least it seems to be working. 🙂 Find the forums and join the conversation:

Re: MacOS 13.0 Ventura, and Dropbox follows OneDrive in forcing the folder on the system drive

Wish to move Dropbox Folder Location to ~library/cloudstorage in macOS 13.2

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Support-for-Monterey-Ventura-new-location-clo...

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/PLEASE-let-us-choose-the-location-of-OUR-Dbox...

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/bd-p/101001016

There's a few, including the correct forum for threads related specifically to the app.

Join the conversation and let Dropbox know how you feel! I think it's a horrible decision to disallow dropboxes on an external drive, personally, and I would like the platform to be able to write to my (very large) external drive for production. Not storing it all on my, limited, internal SSD.

mattdopamine
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Eriq

Thanks for your reply. Did you uninstall the Dropbox app then reinstall a previous version? How would I find that?

Cheers

Matt

eriq c.
Helpful | Level 7

I just redownloaded the app directly on the site here. No archived downloader.

mattdopamine
Explorer | Level 4

Weird, I checked last night and had all my storage space back but then I looked this morning and it's taken another 60gb again.

WTF is going on Dropbox? 😂

mattdopamine
Explorer | Level 4

Right, too many issues and restrictions with Dropbox now. Deleting my account and just signed up for pCloud. Looks much better - and cheaper.

Thanks for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mattdopamine Explorer | Level 4
    eriq c. Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?