cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

storage limitation

storage limitation

asolitary
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I only use 900MB in my dropbox folder. But I found that dropbox program always tells me I have used up to 2.9GB so I can not synchronize my file. And I also checked the storage distribution to make sure I never share the file with other people. Do any one can help me to figure out where the problem coming from?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

We can confirm that the most recent releases of Dropbox should have resolved this issue. Users affected by this issue were unable to see all of the backups on their account. This meant that when they believe they deleted some or all of their files, there could still be backups taking up space on their account. This should no longer be affecting users who should be able to see all of their backups.  

You can find out deleted information on disabling and deleting backups below:

If you disable the backup and choose to "Leave content in Dropbox", your backup content would still be there until it was permanently deleted. 

When you go to the Backups page and see no content, be sure to check the deleted section, too.

You can download the files from this location if you need to store them locally on your device. 

To clear out the data from the deleted backup, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to dropbox.com/backup/all
  2. Click on Show deleted backups
  3. Select their backup and click on permanently delete

Some users did not have backups, but they were members of shared folders which were taking up space on their accounts. You can remove shared folders using these instructions.

If you are still experiencing quota issues after following these steps, then confirm that we can reach out to you via email and our support agents will look into this with you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Have you activated backup by accident? www.dropbox.com/backups 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hey @asolitary,

We are actively investigating this issue with our engineering team at the moment, and are advising users to update their Dropbox to the latest version, if they have not already.

The majority of these issues appear to be cause by Dropbox Backup being active, or being a member of shared folders. You can find out how to disable your Dropbox Backup here, and you can remove shared folders using these instructions .

If you are still experiencing quota issues after following these steps, then confirm that we can reach out to you via email and our support agents will look into this with you.

Regards,

Emmet

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

We can confirm that the most recent releases of Dropbox should have resolved this issue. Users affected by this issue were unable to see all of the backups on their account. This meant that when they believe they deleted some or all of their files, there could still be backups taking up space on their account. This should no longer be affecting users who should be able to see all of their backups.  

You can find out deleted information on disabling and deleting backups below:

If you disable the backup and choose to "Leave content in Dropbox", your backup content would still be there until it was permanently deleted. 

When you go to the Backups page and see no content, be sure to check the deleted section, too.

You can download the files from this location if you need to store them locally on your device. 

To clear out the data from the deleted backup, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to dropbox.com/backup/all
  2. Click on Show deleted backups
  3. Select their backup and click on permanently delete

Some users did not have backups, but they were members of shared folders which were taking up space on their accounts. You can remove shared folders using these instructions.

tonak77
New member | Level 2

Hello,

Drop box says I have reached my storage limit, my folder is 5g less that the 16G limit I have. I dont do back ups and I dont think I have any shared files or folders. ( dont know how to check ). How do I fix this problem over all?

Thanks

T

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @tonak77, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you let us know what's reported in your plan tab in regards to your quota?

Also, have you checked your homepage and the backups page to see if you can find any files or folders that might be taking up space?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    tonak77 New member | Level 2
    Emmet Community Manager
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?