cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unknown dropbox storage counted on my computer

unknown dropbox storage counted on my computer

franekp
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I wonder if anyone can help with this vexing problem? I used to have & use dropbox (light version) for local file storage, but then ran out of the 2 gb of free space fairly quickly. I did at one stage take up a free offer to test out aditional data storage, and did load up many more items, but decided not to actually proceed with signing up for the extra facility. Initially, that resulted in me constantly getting alert messages saying I had exceeded my data storage limit, so I progressively deleted almost all of the extra material, to bring it down under my free limit again.

I then transferred everything to a connected external ssd drive, thus freeing up needed space on my laptop. The problem - which has occurred repeatedly - is that whenever I simply reconnect my external drive to the laptop again, it mysteriously automatically RELOADS  all of that data again into my laptop memory. More exactly, it automatically counts an additional 95GB of data against my laptop's memory. I have been stuggling with HOW to locate exactly where such data is then stored, and even after uninstalling dropbox (together with any visible associated files), my laptop stills displays the previous dropbox amount of data, on my C drive!

I really do need to get rid of this unwanted wasted memory space from my laptop, but cannot find how to achieve this!

Can anyone help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@franekp wrote:

... whenever I simply reconnect my external drive to the laptop again, it mysteriously automatically RELOADS  all of that data again into my laptop memory.

It sounds like you're using the backup feature to back up the content of your external drive.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@franekp wrote:

... whenever I simply reconnect my external drive to the laptop again, it mysteriously automatically RELOADS  all of that data again into my laptop memory.

It sounds like you're using the backup feature to back up the content of your external drive.

franekp
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Rich. Thanks for the quick response and advice. I was able to (eventually) find those settings - certainly not intuitive - and then change as required. Cheers, Frank.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

franekp Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?