Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

3 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted
Level 3

700GB Dropbox moved to smartsync - taking a week to sync

Good day all.  We have about 700GB dropbox an getting to the edges of the hard drive, so moving to smartsync plan was a no brainer.  Doing so, and then going onto the machine, right clicking on our biggest folder and choosing online-only started a sync process.  Cool....but it literally took 5 days to sync and figure it out.  This is completely unacceptable.  Its now done it on 2 of my machines already.  This isnt sustainable.  What can I do to lessen that and make it practical?

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Re: 700GB Dropbox moved to smartsync - taking a week to sync

Hi there, generally the main reasons for the time taken to enable Smart Sync would be the number of files on your account and CPU power.

To keep the file structure and sharing permissions the same, it needs to recreate all the files on account again. Even if they are placeholders, which are tiny in size, they are still essentially individual files that need to be created, after deleting the local copy of the files which takes time itself.

This speed varies according to your internet speed, and the CPU of the machine in question for the hashing of the files and creation of the placeholders. The initial ‘sync’ of the placeholders can take time, but one it’s done you shouldn’t experience a similar time for the subsequent syncing of new files.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

3 Replies
Super User II

You can adjust your bandwidth settings within Dropbox Preferences.

That being said, 700GB is A LOT of data to sync, and the more files you have, the longer it will take to sync. There are many factors that affect sync speed; number of files (being a huge factor), size of the files, bandwidth settings, speed and memory of the computer, Internet speed to the Dropbox servers, etc.

You really just need to let Dropbox work through the process.

Level 3

I dont think I accept that as an answer...

If I choose a folder that is 400GB and tell it to be online only, it shouldnt take 5 days to purge that data, and be filename/placeholders only.  

Im able to uninstall dropbox, delete all the data, reinstall dropbox, set to online only, sync what I want and still have days ahead of this existing process...so that doesnt make sense from my point of view.  Im not trying to be a jerk, just doesnt work.  

Bandwidth settings are unlimited and network is not utilized through the process.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there, generally the main reasons for the time taken to enable Smart Sync would be the number of files on your account and CPU power.

To keep the file structure and sharing permissions the same, it needs to recreate all the files on account again. Even if they are placeholders, which are tiny in size, they are still essentially individual files that need to be created, after deleting the local copy of the files which takes time itself.

This speed varies according to your internet speed, and the CPU of the machine in question for the hashing of the files and creation of the placeholders. The initial ‘sync’ of the placeholders can take time, but one it’s done you shouldn’t experience a similar time for the subsequent syncing of new files.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Syncing and uploads.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post