Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Accessing Dropbox folder from multiple Windows accounts

Level 2

Hi community,

I have linked the Windows Dropbox App to my account and it is synching to a folder located on my hard drive under F:\Documents\Dropbox. 

My wife is using a different Windows user account on the same computer, and can thus also access F:\Documents\Dropbox. However, when she logs in the Windows Dropbox App - when hovering over the icon in the task bar - says "Waiting to be linked to a dropbox account".

The result is that while my wife can access, edit and add/delete files from F:\Documents\Dropbox., she does not see the little green/blue "synched" ticks and her changes will not sync with Dropbox (i.e. online) until logging in from my account again.

I hope this makes sense.

The question is, can I link the Windows Dropbox App on my wife's Windows account to the same Dropbox account and F:\Documents\Dropbox folder on my PC? My concern is that Dropbox will get "confused" if we switch Windows accounts while it is synching, and that thus files/changes may get lost or deleted.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to read/help, and apologise if I have missed a similar topic elsewhere while searching before I posted this.

Best Regards,

JanZeA

1 Reply

Re: Accessing Dropbox folder from multiple Windows accounts

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, this question is similar to one I recently answered, though in that case the Dropbox folder would be on an external drive and moved between computers.

The overall principle remains the same though. When different computer profiles access the same folder location, they apply their own security and permissions to the folder, which would prevent it from working normally.

We wouldn’t recommend trying this since it could result in syncing issues on both computer profiles.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Accessing Dropbox folder from multiple Windows accounts
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post