Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

All dropbox files getting marked read-only

Level 2

I've been using dropbox for a few years now without issue. I have it on my pc, ipad & android phone. My primary device is my ipad.  Here lately I've been having problems when I go to edit files, I am forced to save a copy because it can't save changes... except, once the copy is saved I can't save changes to it, I have to make another copy.  If I look at properties on my pc the files are marked read-only.  I removed that mark and applied changes but then thought I should check others... all files were read-only in that folder, so checked further... the properties for my entire dropbox were read-only!  So, yesterday removed the read-only setting and hit applied it to all the folders & files in my dropbox which seemed to fix the problem yesterday but this morning again the read-only is checked again on my entire dropbox folder...  Please help!  It takes awhile to apply the change to the 500g of files I have.

2 Replies

Re: All dropbox files getting marked read-only

Dropboxer
Hey there @julran55, sorry about the slight delay in response and welcome to our Forum! 😊

This is interesting - Could you by any chance check other files on your computer (not currently in your Dropbox), and see if their properties have also being changed to Read-Only” without your doing? 

Is this only happening with the files within your Dropbox Folder? Normally, going into the file and modifying the properties to give yourself "Full Control" over "Read-Only",  this changes should stay in effect. 

Did you recently update your OS or carry out any updates on your device by any chance? 

Feel free to get back to me with any additional info you think would be useful to share, and I'll be happy to help out it any way I can. Looking forward to hearing from you again! 

Happy Friday! 

hibiscus 

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: All dropbox files getting marked read-only

My problem is similar... DROPBOX "ECEL 365" DOCUMENTS BECOME "READ ONLY" WHEN COPIED (EITHER MANUALLY OR VIA DROPSYNC) TO MY ANDROID SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB S3. I CAN EDIT AND SAVE THE DROPBOX VERSION BUT THE COPIED ONE RESIDENT ON MY TABLET IS READ ONLY. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

All dropbox files getting marked read-only
2 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post