Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Android Phone Not syncing files with Dropbox

Level 5

When I open a file and modify it on my Android phone that file is not syncing with Dropbox.  The phone asks me to save the file and then only gives me the option of saving the file on the device or Google drive.

If I do not save and close the file in the usual way the changes are not synced with Dropbox and any changes made are lost.

I did not have this with my last Adroid phone.

I've played with settings but have had no joy.

Cheers,

DM

4 Replies

Re: Android Phone Not syncing files with Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey there @Franz H.3  - how are you today?

What files are these and which software are you using to edit them? 

Also note that on Android,  this is how you can edit a file with a third-party app:
1. Tap on the file you'd like to edit to preview it
2. Once the document preview loads, tap the edit icon (looks like a pencil/paper)
3. You will see a list of available third-party apps
4. Tap the app you'd like to use to open your file. If you do not have a third party app installed that can open the document, you can download one from the Google Play Store.

In order for changes to be saved back to Dropbox, the third-party app will need to request permission to access and make changes to your Dropbox. If the app does not request these permissions, then changes will not be uploaded back to Dropbox, and you will need to reach out to the app’s developer to modify their app to integrate with Dropbox. In this case, you can save your edited file locally to your device and manually upload it into your Dropbox.

I hope this information helps to some extent and please let me know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5
Hi Walter,
Thanks for the prompt reply a suggestions.
I am working with Excel spreadsheets which are being opened and edited with Google Sheets.
Here's the thing. All used to work with my Android HTC phone but I recently upgrades to Samsung S10 and since then it no longer works.
My Samsung only gives me the option to save to the phone or Google drive - no option for saving to Dropbox.
Cheers.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info Franz - most appreciated!

Now, kindly note that there are two ways you can edit your Office documents in your Dropbox using the Microsoft Office apps:

1) While viewing a Microsoft Office file within the Dropbox mobile app, you'll see a new edit button that allows you to open your file directly in the appropriate Microsoft Office app for editing.
2) From the Microsoft Office app, you can connect your Dropbox in the Account tab and access your files directly from there.

Once you've finished your edits, you'll be able to save the file back to your Dropbox. If you don't already have the latest versions of the Dropbox and Office apps installed on your mobile device, please follow the steps in this help center article to get started:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/edit-microsoft-office-files-mobile

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Hi again Walter,

It appears that Google Sheets is the culprit - it will open a spreadsheet but not save it back to Dropbox.  Using Excel, all works as it should.

I will be giving Google Sheets a big thumbs down and only use Excel in future.

Thanks for your input.

DM

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Android Phone Not syncing files with Dropbox
4 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post