Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues - updated June 18th see more

Automatic Sync Between PC Folders and Dropbox

5 Comments
2 Kudos
Level 1

Automatic Sync Between PC Folders and Dropbox

Does anyone know of a 3rd party program that will enable files that are created/edited on my PC, to automatically sync with Dropbox? If I edit a file from Dropbox, would the same program then reverse-sync to my PC?

5 Replies
Super User II

Re: Automatic Sync Between PC Folders and Dropbox

That's what Dropbox does already. No need for a third-party program.

The Dropbox folder on your computer is a folder like any other. It exists on your computer (it is not a cloud-based folder). Anything you store in that folder will sync to Dropbox, but is still stored locally. Move your files/folders into the Dropbox folder and work on them there. They will automatically sync with your account online as you save them.

Level 1

Thanks Rich, however I'm not sure if I stated my problem correctly.

Let's say I create a file on my PC, and, once I'm done, I want it to automatically sync up to Dropbox in its "parallel" folder. I use my Dropbox primarily as a backup of my important documents and photos. I'm used to dragging that file into the Dropbox folder initially. Any changes I make on my PC...I would like those changes to automatically update the one in Dropbox. I would also like the reverse to be true.

I suppose I'm likening this to an Exchange server's phone book. If I make a change on my device, it changes in my desktop, and vice versa.

There's a 3rd party app that claims to literally sync the way I'm describing (called SyncToy). I just started using it, so I'm not sure it will do what I want.

After explaining my desire for this functionality to Dropbox support, they claimed this couldn't be done in Dropbox, and suggested this forum for answers.

I have a feeling I'm missing something completely!

Super User II

I have a feeling I'm missing something completely!

Sort of, yes... You're trying to use Dropbox in a manner that it wasn't designed for. You're leaving your files in their original folder instead of moving them into the Dropbox folder and working on them there. The way you're doing it results in two copies of the same file on your computer; one in the original folder that you're working in, and the copy that you're dragging to the Dropbox folder (remember, the Dropbox folder and its content is local to your computer just like any other folders on your computer).

While you certainly can use it the way you're describing, and there are tools to perform the extra sync process you need (SyncToy, Boxifer, etc.), you're duplicating data on your computer and adding unnecessary complication to your setup. Instead, just move your existing folders into the Dropbox folder, and work on your files there.

Level 1

Yes, I now feel really stupid, and properly enlightened and educated based on how you've described it. Now I know why my 2TB hard drive is almost devoured.

This will be a welcome change for me!

Thank you for all of your input and expertise!

Level 7

Did you give Boxifier a try? Boxifier can sync folders to Dropbox without duplicating data on your computer, while keeping them in their original location (doesn't move the folders). SyncToy duplicates data on your computer, while Boxifier syncs to/from Dropbox without duplicating data on your computer.

Disclaimer: I am one of the people working on Boxifier, so feel free to ask me anything about it: razvan@boxifier.com

Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 4691
Mark 3652
Jane 1029
Tom_M 886
Greg K. 799