cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Sync Icons appear on my Win 10 Desktop Files

Blue Sync Icons appear on my Win 10 Desktop Files

alansidman
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

On occasion, blue sync icons will appear on files and shortcut links that are located on my Win 10 Desktop.  None of the files are related or stored in Dropbox.  What is causing this.  The only way to remove them is to reboot my machine.  Any idea what is causing these sync issue to appear.Capture.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gcarron
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same issue on my Win 10 pc.  I had recently shared a video in dropbox to a friend and this popped up shortly after.  So I assumed it was a drop box thing.  I did an F5 (Refresh) on the desktop and they all went back to the Windows "Shortcut" icon on all the files (which explains why you restarting fixed this).  So I think something gets messed up in Windows and it has to do with any file that is a shortcut on your desktop.  Files native to the desktop folder didn't have this icon or a shortcut icon.  Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @alansidman, I’d concur with you, as these icons seem to be corresponding to a different application on your pc. From there, your Task Manager should help you determine what’s happening, as you should be able to see all the applications running in the background, however this appears to be unrelated to Dropbox. 

I hope that this helps you to some extend Alan & please feel free to ping us here again if you have any Dropbox-related questions!  

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

alansidman
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Not really helpful.  Over 100 Apps loaded in background in a Win 10 environment.  Really need something I can work with.  No one has seen this before?  Why would an Icon that is particular to Dropbox show up on my desktop and it not be a DropBox issue.  Not saying it is not a Dropbox issue confuses me.  Has to be.  Who else would want to usurp a Dropbox icon and employ it.  Really need some critical thinking from DropBox people.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Kindly note that the Dropbox syncing icons are specific to your Dropbox folder @alansidman, while the blue icons you’re seeing reside on your desktop & they seem to be slightly different. Since this pertains to a different application on your pc Alan, I’ll leave this question open to our Community of users; maybe someone could offer their insight on how you’d best go about on this request. 

Thanks again for taking the time to drop us a line on the Community & have a wonderful week ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

gcarron
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same issue on my Win 10 pc.  I had recently shared a video in dropbox to a friend and this popped up shortly after.  So I assumed it was a drop box thing.  I did an F5 (Refresh) on the desktop and they all went back to the Windows "Shortcut" icon on all the files (which explains why you restarting fixed this).  So I think something gets messed up in Windows and it has to do with any file that is a shortcut on your desktop.  Files native to the desktop folder didn't have this icon or a shortcut icon.  Hope this helps!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gcarron New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    alansidman Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?