cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Upload- Preserve Original Photo creation Dates?

Camera Upload- Preserve Original Photo creation Dates?

Andy T.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello, I have a great deal of photos on my Iphone that I am contemplating to use DropBox. Archiving is very important to me with original creation dates. If I use the Camere Upload app, will the photo uploaded to Dropbox have the original creation date and other meta data (camera used, gps info). It is very important that I have the original creation date on my pictures and have this file be accessible on my other devices.

In Mac and MS Windows, if I move a file (cut/cop), the creation date is preserved. If I copy a file, the creation date becomes the date when the file was copied. So in the Camera Upload app am I copying or moving? Or I can do both?

-Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

This has not changed and, with the upcoming changes to the way photos are handled, I don't see this changing anytime soon.

The modified date will always be the date that the file was uploaded. Your photos still retain the date that they were taken within the EXIF data of the file. That information, however, is not displayed on Dropbox.

View solution in original post

38 Replies 38

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay - are you still having issues?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Hedva K.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I also have a similar problem.

Where can I see the creation date of a photo in dropbox?

At the list view, i see the last modified date but I need to see the creation date.

Is it possible?

Aileen D.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just started moving photos from my Mac and an external hard drive. But am not seeing the photo creation date. That's how I sort all of my photos and have for years. Please tell me there is a way to see that data in DropBox...

Razer M.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I also have this issue. In Photos folder we must have to see the creation date of photos (better ir we can choose any metadata do show in list, like a real file manager).

I know this date is accessed by Carousel, so this information is still in photo file uploaded/transfered to Dropbox.

I need this because I like to organize photos by date and create subfolders to put them. It is impossible to do this directly in Dropbox because this lack of "file manager" facility, like we find in Google Drive, for example.

By the way, I am trying to move all my files (including photos) from Google Drive to Dropbox (1Tb account), but these file management features must be implemented..

Thank you in advance...

Doug K.17
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am having the same issue, my company has a Business Account with virtually limitless storage. I have moved "old" files into an Archive file to save but not be current on everyones hard drive but when moved/copied files take on copy/move date. Is there anyway to interrogate file to get the original creation date? This information is very important to my company

Tracey O.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am in the same boat as Doug K.  My company is migrating files into DropBox for business but on a test run, I note that the original creation date is modified to the date of the file move, not the original date.  This information is extremely important to our processes.

Is there a way to migrate files and retain actual creation dates?

Kasem L.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also having the same problem for a long time.  My camera uploads are not sorted in the same way they were taken as Dropbox uploads the files and use the date/time they were uploaded, not the original date/time they were taken.

Joan S.18
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm surprised there has been no answer on this issue. It's absolutely critical for me to have the actual file creation dates preserved and viewable in Dropbox, instead of being replaced by the date it was uploaded to Dropbox. 

jtjr68su
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I have same issue - any updates? Thanks!!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joan S.18 Helpful | Level 6
    Kasem L. New member | Level 2
    Tracey O.1 New member | Level 1
    Doug K.17 Helpful | Level 5
    Razer M. New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?