cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When using camera uploads, does deleting a photo from camera roll also delete it from Dropbox?

When using camera uploads, does deleting a photo from camera roll also delete it from Dropbox?

Mark B.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I really like the idea of Camera Upload, but why when I delete a photo from my phone via my Camera or Gallery view, does this not also delete the photo from my Dropbox Camera Uploads folder?
Is there any plan to address this?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Christopher N.1
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Mark!

Deleting a photo from the Camera Roll on your smartphone or tablet won't delete it from your Dropbox account. This means you can let Camera Upload upload your pictures for you, then delete them from your device to save space.

Also, if you like Camera Upload, make sure to check out our gallery app, Carousel:

https://carousel.dropbox.com

Hope this helps! 🙂

View solution in original post

Mark B.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the feedback Demtrios.

It would seem like there's at least a couple of scenarios here:
1. Device -> Dropbox: Automatically upload all my photos to Dropbox, and I manually delete the photos on my phone to to save space
2. Device <-> Dropbox: Keep the photos on my device in sync with Dropbox, so that I can delete photos on my device using the application of my choice (File Explorer, Gallery, Camera, Camera Roll, Carousel etc) or directly from Dropbox

The scenario that I'm mostly interested in is #2, since the majority of SmartPhone devices in the world have external storage, it's cheap and convenient to add 16GB or 32GB to any non iPhone device with an SD card, so space is less of an issue, but losing the photos is more of an issue. But, if I lost my device, it'd be major hassle to have to sift through all the photos in Camera Upload and reconcile what was deleted on my device.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Christopher N.1
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Mark!

Deleting a photo from the Camera Roll on your smartphone or tablet won't delete it from your Dropbox account. This means you can let Camera Upload upload your pictures for you, then delete them from your device to save space.

Also, if you like Camera Upload, make sure to check out our gallery app, Carousel:

https://carousel.dropbox.com

Hope this helps! 🙂

Mark B.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the feedback Demtrios.

It would seem like there's at least a couple of scenarios here:
1. Device -> Dropbox: Automatically upload all my photos to Dropbox, and I manually delete the photos on my phone to to save space
2. Device <-> Dropbox: Keep the photos on my device in sync with Dropbox, so that I can delete photos on my device using the application of my choice (File Explorer, Gallery, Camera, Camera Roll, Carousel etc) or directly from Dropbox

The scenario that I'm mostly interested in is #2, since the majority of SmartPhone devices in the world have external storage, it's cheap and convenient to add 16GB or 32GB to any non iPhone device with an SD card, so space is less of an issue, but losing the photos is more of an issue. But, if I lost my device, it'd be major hassle to have to sift through all the photos in Camera Upload and reconcile what was deleted on my device.

Pierre M.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

same for me. If you make a couple of shots and selecte the best one (that takes some time) you need to perform the same task again in die uploaded photo collection. i don't like this and I woudld like to have a checkbox in Dropbox to choose if it just uploas or of it synchronises

Alyssa M.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is it possible for me to re-synch my photo's from mobile to dropbox? I've synched (almost?) everything, and copy pasted them on my computer and deleted them from my Dropbox. But after checking if I have everything, it seems not everything from my pictures/vids are uploaded/copied. I found out, cause after a while using copy paste twice, I saw the second time it asked me to overwrite them. I chose to skip those and saw it did copied a few things that haven't ... But found out too late, now my dropbox isn't synching anything from my mobile now, except ofc new pics and vids.. Kinda sux, cause my mobile won't connect with my pc to get my photos off of it. So if there any way to re-synch all my pictures and video's again ??

glassfull
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I discovered that on my computer, there are duplicates of a lot of photos and videos.  If I delete these duplicates from my computer's Camera Uploads folder, this does not seem to update the Dropbox website Camera Uploads folder - so all of these duplicates still sync down to my other devices.

What is the best way to sync the Camera Uploads folder on my desktop machine, to the Dropbox Camera Uploads folder - so that they are the same?

Thanks

Elena M.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi!
I deleted a file from my camera roll. It seems that it was already auto uploading in dropbox. Since then the Dropbox app is showing the file name in recent files as "loading" and in the "camera upload" like "grey".
I cannot stop the upload and I cannot recover the pic so it could go on uploading, the file doesn't exist anymore, or delete the "piece" of it which it is already uploaded. Any help?
iphone 4 / iOS 7.1

Thanks!
Solved -https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/de/community/posts/205204643-File-which-was-deleted-while-uploading-...

Doug H.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello.  I have a PC, Win 10, iPhone 5s.  The camera upload works fine uploading to dropbox.  The "Camera Uploads" folder appears on my PC's dropbox but with a grey minus indicating selective sync.  No photos will download to my PC. The folder is unchecked in dropbox preferences.

When I check the selective sync in the PC dropbox preferences, it adds another folder called "Camera Upload (Selective Sync Conflict)" but still will not download any contents from the main dropbox folder in the cloud.  The "Camera Uploads" folder on my PC dropbox stays grey and the folder remains unchecked in the dropbox preferences. 

How can I get this thing to sync properly?

Thanks for any help.     -Doug

Mark B.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

With Dropbox's refocus on Dropbox and not other unrelated projects, is this feature ever going to be considered?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Mark B.2 wrote:

With Dropbox's refocus on Dropbox and not other unrelated projects, is this feature ever going to be considered?

If you mean deleting a photo from your camera roll/gallery and having Dropbox automatically delete it from Camera Uploads as well, then it likely will never be considered. That's counter-productive to how Camera Uploads is meant to function (as explained in a previous reply).

This means you can let Camera Upload upload your pictures for you, then delete them from your device to save space.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JaneMoughon New member | Level 2
    irasch New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Mark B.2 New member | Level 2
    Doug H.5 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?