cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

yes

Highlighted

Can I backup Dropbox indexing files?

Level 3

Due to partion errors on my iMac (which were meanwhile corrected by reformatting my hard drive) the computer sometimes lost all data of my last session after a shutdown. Data that were continuously saved in Dropbox and iCloud were not lost but all other files were gone as the iMac has somehow reset itself to a previous stage because of the corrupt partition. Whenever I restarted my Mac for a new session after such incident and connected Dropbox, it started to resync all my 400.000 files. It would be awesome if one can backup Dropbox's indexing files before shutdown. So in case of my problems I could have restored the indexing files of the last session and Dropbox would immediately recognize that there is nothing to sync actually. Can this probably be done by doing a backup of the Dropbox cache? Problem here is that this is a hidden folder and even after shutdown I cannot copy it into a backup folder in Finder. Probably this just works by using Terminal. Any ideas Dropbox-Team?

A solution would be also very convenient to use if my second computer needs to be restored and which is connected to same Dropbox. Instead of resyncing the whole Dropbox there again after reinstallation I could simply copy the Dropbox folder and indexing files via an external hard drive from my main computer to my other computer.

1 Reply

Re: Can I backup Dropbox indexing files?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Martin, if there is a large change, or you reinstalled the Dropbox desktop application, an index would always be necessary to confirm that there were no changes made to any file in the meantime.

Currently there isn’t a way to avoid this step, since without indexing the files first, the app can’t begin to sync.

Likewise, if moving to a new computer, you can copy your files across to prevent the app from re-downloading all of them. However this still doesn’t prevent indexing.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Can I backup Dropbox indexing files?
More about this post
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See answer
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post