Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Can't properly sync on old laptop after clean OS install

Level 2

Hi guys,

I have just bought a new laptop and passed on my old MBP (Retina, Mid 2012, SSD) to my better half. 

Did a clean OS install (Mojave) after formating the disk (APFS).

I have a single dropbox account that I share with my wife, and we each only sync our respective folders.

All seemed well, but now it has been quite a while and the sync icon just doesn't go away, and there's the indication that 60 files are being (endlessly) uploaded, plus a message stating that folder X (keeps changing) can't be synced... (see image attached)

Everything syncs fine in my other laptops/desktop. 

If the issue was with file sizes being too long or having unsupported chars shouldn't it be an issue in the other machines also?

What is the best way forward?

Thanks

Screenshot 2019-02-08 at 21.png

3 Replies

Re: Can't properly sync on old laptop after clean OS install

Dropboxer
Hey @ruisea, if you’ve recently installed the desktop app, it could be that it just needs some more time to sync all your files, especially if you have many/large files.

When Dropbox syncs the files it starts with all of the folders, then uploads files from smallest to largest. Although it may look like the folders are empty or incomplete if you look during the syncing process, please be patient and don’t delete them from the Dropbox folder if the files haven't finished syncing.

If the sync time is large then you need to remember to stay logged into your computer and to keep that computer turned on and connected to the Internet. Dropbox syncs your files in the background.

You can check the sync status that appears when you click on the Dropbox icon, which will either say all files up to date or show you how many files are left to sync and how long it expects to take. This is, however, only an "instant" estimate based on the current upload speed and can change if you check the value just a few seconds later.

Furthermore, please bear in mind that Dropbox can only upload/download as fast as your ISP allows. Although, normally, Dropbox doesn't use all of your bandwidth, you can change that by manually setting the upload/download speed. However, please note that setting your Upload to Don't Limit or a higher number than your connection is capable of will likely cause all other Internet activity on your network to slow significantly.

@ruisea wrote: 
If the issue was with file sizes being too long or having unsupported chars shouldn't it be an issue in the other machines also? 
The performance of the desktop app can vary from device to device and, in general, it can decline if you have more than 300,000 files synced to your computer. Although this is a soft limit and depends highly on the hardware specifications of the computer running the app, some customers can sync more files without issue.

If you have a lot of files stored in Dropbox and you'd like to try to improve the performance of your computer, you can use selective sync to select only certain files to sync to your computer. 

I hope this info helped to some extent, and apologies for the lengthy reply. disappointed but relieved face If you’re still experiencing some trouble with this after some time, please let me know and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

PS. I’ve also gone ahead and removed some personal information included in your screenshot for security and privacy purposes. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

After unlinking and then linking the account everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks

Dropboxer

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end, @ruisea! grinning face with smiling eyes Let us know if you have any persisting behavior or you have any other queries in the future and, in the meantime, have a wonderful week ahead.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can't properly sync on old laptop after clean OS install
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post