cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Clean My Mac update caused TOTAL FILE RESYNC

Clean My Mac update caused TOTAL FILE RESYNC

faustlaw
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I just updated clean my mac ran it and now my Dropbox is resyncing ALL THE FILES.  What went wrong?  I don't want this to happen again.

Thank you. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Storyer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, that's Volodymyr from MacPaw, company that developed CleanMyMac app. 

Thanks for contacting us on that, we've located what exactly causing that and fixed that. So with the upcoming update of the app this will be fixed. 

Have a great day! 

Regards,

Volodymyr

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Sounds like CleanMyMac has updated some sort of metadata within the files (e.g. last opened/edited etc.) which need updating (Dropbox only sees the changes not what changed).

Also, as an aside, it wont upload everything again - it'll only upload the hashed changes.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

faustlaw
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

How can I prevent it from happening again.  It really hogs the system for 24+ hours.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
If the files are actually changing, you can't. They have to finish syncing. Are you sure it's actually re-syncing all your files, and not just re-indexing them? If CleanMyMac cleared personal settings, and the Dropbox database was part of that, to Dropbox it would be as if you had a new installation and it would need to index all of your files.

faustlaw
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

You're right.  It's re-indexing.  It did it again yesterday when I used Clean my Mac.  How can I stop it from doing that every time I clean?  Any ideas?  I must have something set wrong. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey faustlaw

Thank you for getting in touch with us in our Community channel!

Can you please make sure that you are running the latest stable version of the application and that you have not Symlinked other applications to point to the Dropbox folder? 

If your mac OS keeps syncing/ re-indexing, please let me know here. 

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

When Dropbox indexes your data, a local database of your files is created. Dropbox uses this database to keep track of what files are stored locally, what files need to sync, etc. If the cleaning apps remove this database during their drive cleanup, Dropbox will have to re-index your files.

graemetic
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

When Dropbox indexes your data, a local database of your files is created. Dropbox uses this database to keep track of what files are stored locally, what files need to sync, etc. If the cleaning apps remove this database during their drive cleanup, Dropbox will have to re-index your files.

I'm having exactly the same problem with 40,000 files re-syncing every time. What is the Dropbox database file called so I can add it to the "Ignore List" i Clean My Mac?

dominichare
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Can we get an answer to this?

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
FOLKS I HAVE THE SOLUTION. The problem is cache-related. When you remove Dropbox cache files, the application needs to reindex the database.

If you want to avoid this process, add Dropbox cache files to ignore list.

To do this, run CleanMyMac's System Junk module...
...press "Review Details"....
....in the search line type "Dropbox"
...right-click or command-click on located files....
select "Add to Ignore List".

Voila. Next time you Clean, your Dropbox should be fine.
Need more support?